Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have a router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I am trying to forward a port and I need to know if I have a router.
I know, follow the cable, but my landlord has it on her floor and she is someone I would rather not mess with (language barrier) plus I doubt she wants me fooling around with "the box that sits in the corner".
I ran ipconfig and noted my default gateway was 192.168.100.1, popped that in to my browser and it pulled up our cable modem (SB5105).
A quick google search told me that this particular modem does not have a built in router.
Does that mean we don't have a router? I find that hard to believe as we have a flat with 4 bedrooms, and each person is hard wired (as opposed to wifi) to the internet.
What can I conclude from this, and how do I find out what router I have?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

All you can conclude is that you have a model SB5105 cable modem.

I find that hard to believe as we have a flat with 4 bedrooms, and each person is hard wired (as opposed to wifi) to the internet.

Why? Typically one gets their internet via the same cable that one gets their television. All it takes is a cable splitter.

You need to see that the default gateway is for your modem. If it is a 10.0 address, or a 192.168 address, then there may be a switch or a router on the other end.

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.
So there is no way I can forward a port?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not that I can think of. Like I said though, you need to what your external ip address is. if you go to 'whatsmyip.com', you should be able to see what your external ip address is. If it is not a private ip address, then you can simply by a router and do what you need to do. The ip address you see in ipconfig is the ip address assigned to your system by the modem.

Edited by groovicus, 14 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users