Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded MOBO, Now my pc doesn't detect hardwire to internet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo

RDoringo

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Hi all,

I just upgraded the mobo in my pc tonight from an Asus AMD 780 L to an Asrock 970 extreme3 (I also tossed in a Phenom ii x4 965 BE and 8 gigs of g-skill ripjaws). The transition went smoothly. All I had to do was redownload my video drivers. However, I am having a weird problem where the pc doesn't detect that I am hardwired to the internet. I can pick up the wireless signal, so I do have a connection. My cable company's wireless can be a bit iffy at times, though, so I would like to connect via the ethernet cable. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

Have you tried installing the Ethernet drivers, they can be found here.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

Did you upgrade your mobo without a clean install of Windows in hope that all you will need to do is install drivers?

It is ALWAYS recommended that you do a clean install of Windows when you get a new motherboard. But yea for the time being just install the ethernet drivers and see if that helps.

PS: The reason you want to do a clean install with a new motherboard is because there are so many drivers that are involved with a motherboard from SATA controllers (South Bridge), north bridge, and any other accessories that the previous MOBO had that will conflict with the new motherboard.

Edited by KING_OF_SAND, 14 July 2012 - 02:57 AM.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#4 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I downloaded the drivers, but there has been no change.

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Like said by KING_OF_SAND, it would be wise to re-install your OS completely ASAP...!
It's a small miracle you got Windows booted in the first place :whistle:

Please make sure to back up all your personal data on an external source before re-installing your OS, as the contents of your hard-drive(s) will be lost.

Until then, problems / issues / BSOD's / glitches will keep re-occurring I'm afraid.

Good luck,

\0/
-Sec

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Did you get a utilities disk with the motherboard? If so, reinstall the OS, then use the disk.

#7 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

As for not reinstalling windows, I followed this guide step by step: http://www.pcworld.com/article/200827/upgrade_your_motherboard_the_easy_way.html

I thought I could do it without it. Admittedly, I probably should have looked into it further since it was my first time. I've installed all of the drivers from the disc, though.

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

OK I just cannot believe anyone is advising to NOT re-install an OS after such a drastic hard-ware swap... WOW!

There's a lot of hardware on your MoBo, from a chipset, to the USB ports. From your LAN connection to the on-board audio chip and so on and on...

Again..,seriously.., WOW! :thumbdown:
At least you can blame PCworld for making it seem to easy! :P
And SHAME ON THEM!!!

Anyways, me whining won't get us anywhere..,
  • Are you in the possession of a (legal) Windows installation DISC?
  • Are you already in the possession of all drivers? (MoBo, LAN, Video, Sound, etc)
  • Did you make a back-up of all the data you want to keep on USB or DVD?
  • Have you ever installed an OS before? (Do you know what to expect?)
If the answer to those 4 questions is "yes", please proceed with a fresh install.
If any question is answered with "no" or you have additional questions yourself, please do not hesitate to ask.
Also, please give a full configuration of the rest of your system.

\0/
-Sec

EDIT: Spelling *sighs* .. and counting :[

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 14 July 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#9 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

As for the windows CD, I certainly have a legal copy of windows running, but no disk. I have the CD Key because it is posted on the side of my chassis. I honestly don't believe I ever got a disk when I received my computer. I remember thinking that it was odd at the time.

When you ask if I am in possession of all the drivers, do you mean the ones that came on the CD with the mobo? If so, yes.

I did back up my important data on an external hard drive prior to the swap. I've also installed an OS before a while back. I don't think I would have much of an issue doing it, despite not really remembering anything about it.

#10 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

OK, before we go any further, could you give me a full specification of your system and OS please?

Also, could you check if there is an i386 folder present on your system?
Start -> Search -> i386 (make sure you set "search in system maps" under advanced settings)

I'm sure there will be a "recovery partition" on your system, and it might well be, that, at the first time the system was booted Windows asked you if you wanted to make a recovery-disc. (Almost no-one does..)
Problem is, I do not have much experience with recovering a fresh install from a recovery-partition, but I might be able to help you out.., and if not, there are a LOT of others here at well :)
First things first, we'll need some more info on your system.

\0/
-Sec

#11 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Mobo: Asrock 970 extreme3 AM3+
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive: 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
Video Card: Radeon HD 6870
Ram: 8 GB g-skill ripjaws ddr3
cpu: Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition
psu: Corsair GS 600w
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

#12 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Ok thanks,

Is there a main brand? (Acer, Dell or HP for example?)
Where did you buy the system?

Did you find an i386 folder?

Start -> Search -> i386 (search all drivers, hidden folders and system folders under advanced please)

If you have both your GPU and MoBO drivers, you're all set except for a Windows Installation Source, so that will be the next thing to look at.
So do you have any drivers for your Radeon on disc as well? If not, witch brand is it?
Otherwise, you could probably find them > HERE <. Copy those to an USB or burn them on CD please. Note they are from AMD, you could have another manufacturer!!

\0/
-Sec

#13 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm not seeing the i386. The only result I got was a file associated with Ventrilo, but I'm sure that wouldn't be what you're talking about.

#14 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

No I am searching for an i386 folder, this contains all installation files for Windows.
I'm really sorry, but then I have to do a bit of Googling for now, and dinner + kids are waiting, I promise to answer you in under 24 hours!

Is there a brand?
Where did you buy the system?

\0/
-Sec

#15 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Don't worry about it. I'll be busy all day. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users