Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet trouble

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EliotAxer

EliotAxer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

So here's the deal. For about 2 months now, My browsers have been malfunctioning. Occasionally (About 4 times a day) the browser can't find the server to a site even though I'm connected to a very high strength connection (It's 10 feet away). I don't think it's a virus, since I have 2 very good antivirus programs that protect and scan my whole computer daily. I've also used a few programs that find all files set to automatically run on system start up (which most malware is) and found nothing. What could be causing this browser dysfunction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

since I have 2 very good antivirus programs that protect and scan my whole computer daily.

Please note that with 2 Antivirus programs you are causing internal conflicts !!
You should only ever have 1 Antivirus and 1 Firewall installed - This may be part of your problem -

Please list the 2 Antivirus programs, your Operating System and Service Pack (XP, Vista, Win7), and any other Security programs installed -

Thank You -

#3 EliotAxer

EliotAxer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Antivirus programs: Avast free antivirus, Superantispyware free edition. My operating system is Windows 7-SP1. McAfee came installed on my computer, but my trial ran out a month ago, so I don't think it's working anymore. My system also came with Windows firewall.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hi -
The McAfee will still be on your computer if it has not been fully removed
To remove McAfee software completely from your PC, first use Window's built-in system to uninstall McAfee software.
Next, download the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) from the McAfee site: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
McAfee Removal Tool works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

If you access Windows Task Manager, you will find that McAfee is still operating if it was never removed fully -

Also install and update Malwarebytes Free then run a Quick Scan.

#5 janvl

janvl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hi,

remove mcafee, I used to be a fan of mcafee untill for a couple of years, now it slows down your pc.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65863

Avast is a good choice, it is sufficient, and offers the best free protection you can get at the moment.
Even a paid version is not overexpensive.

Good luck,
Jan

#6 EliotAxer

EliotAxer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

McAfee has been removed, and I installed Malwarebytes.

Quick scan results: 5 objects found. 2 registry keys (Both adware) and 3 files. 2 were PUPs, and one PSWtool, which I've heard can be used with malicious intent. All 5 were removed. What should I do next?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Please post the infected MBAM log so we can see where this (PSWtool) was located.
Was there more to it's name?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 EliotAxer

EliotAxer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.07.14.08

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Admin :: ADMIN-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

7/14/2012 3:58:50 PM
mbam-log-2012-07-14 (15-58-50).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 198227
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 2
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{11111111-1111-1111-1111-110011221158} (Adware.GamePlayLab) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{11111111-1111-1111-1111-110011221158} (Adware.GamePlayLab) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 3
C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\FreeFileViewer2011Setup.exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\frostwire.exe (PUP.Adbundler) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\cain20.exe.part (PSWTool.Cain) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

PSWTOOL can be a problem.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users