Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 QBasic

QBasic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Technical Specs

Compaq Presario CQ57
Processor: AMD C-50 (I have read that this is only 1-2% faster than the intel atom processor)
Video Card: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6250
Memory: 8 Gigs (Today I upgraded this laptop to 8 gigs from the factory default of 2)
OS: Win7 (Fully updated... all updates have been done up to today)

Things I have already tried:
I have cleaned up MSConfig, removing all nonessential programs.
In Win7 "Advanced System Settings" I set the OS to prioritize performance over looks and in every way that I know of.
I have upgraded the memory from 2 gigs to 8 gigs.
I tried 3rd party over clocking software

The Problem:
Starting with a FRESH install of windows from the Compaq recovery partition (this means there is NO additional software). The computer is slow. REALLY SLOW. The laptop takes 10-30 minutes to start up. If I click 'Start' it takes 1-5 minutes to pop up on the screen. Everything else from that point on is in the same condition. Clicking anything results in a 1-5 minute wait before seeing the results. Sometimes it freezes the cursor in the process. Physically this laptop is pristine. No nicks, scratches, or cracks. All of the buttons work. Not a spot of dust. It connects to the internet (eventually) every time the computer boots. It seems like everything about this thing is perfect EXCEPT that it so slow it is unusable. Please help me out. I don't want to play video games, I just want it to be usable.

Adding 8 gigs of memory was my last option and now I'm out $40 and back where I started.

Update:
So, after making a few more changes I can work with it at a decent speed. I think I have narrowed down the issue... I THINK the issue is either the Hard Drive or the file browser. The only time I am experiencing EXTREMELY SLOW progress is when I try to access something from the hard drive.
My reason for this thought process comes from the fact that I am browsing the internet, and watching youtube videos just fine (everything is working as expected) but when I try to open My Documents there is a 3-5 minute delay between when I click on the folder and when it finally opens up. This is true of any files or folders on the hard drive, the My Documents thing is just an example.

Edited by QBasic, 13 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Does the computer run better with the 2gb pre-installed?

Also 8gb is to much. Your CPU will run out of juice long before you utilize 8gb of memory. 4GB should be your max for such a small processor.

Edited by KING_OF_SAND, 13 July 2012 - 06:42 PM.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 QBasic

QBasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Also 8gb is to much. Your CPU will run out of juice long before you utilize 8gb of memory. 4GB should be your max for such a small processor.

There no NOTICEABLE difference in performance before and after the memory was upgraded. However we are talking about a computer SO SLOW I usually walk away and come back between every click, this makes it very hard to gauge.

#4 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

There no NOTICEABLE difference in performance before and after the memory was upgraded. However we are talking about a computer SO SLOW I usually walk away and come back between every click, this makes it very hard to gauge.

I meant to say did this computer have the same problem with the 2gb?

have you tried a restore back to a previous date before the problem occurred?
Have you tried a x86 (32bit) version of Windows 7?
Have you tried disabling ALL start up programs and restarting to see if that does anything?

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi QBasic,

After you follow hamluis's recommendations to produce a Minitoolbox log and Speccy snapshot of your system, you might also want to test your hard drive using the built in HP Diagnostics.

This is your computer manual: Compact Presario CQ57 Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide (PDF).
The following is from page 88: Using System Diagnotics:

To start System Diagnostics:
  • Turn on or restart the computer. While the "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu" message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen, press esc.
  • When the Startup Menu is displayed, press f2.
  • Click the diagnostic test you want to run (suggestion: Hard Drive test), and then follow the on-screen instructions.
  • (NOTE: If you need to stop a diagnostics test while it is running, press esc.)

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

How old is the HDD ?, sounds like its dying ...
I suggest to replace the HDD and reinstall wds {Buy it at local store , so you can return it, if it did not help}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users