Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

igoogle homepage redirects to other sites?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nycstudent

nycstudent

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hello! Why is igoogle automatically redirecting me to spammy sites? I've noticed this happening for the past week or two. igoogle is my homepage for Chrome browser, and within a few seconds of loading the igoogle page, I can see the address bar redirecting to a different IP address (I think it's an IP address, it says 50.someothernumbers.morenumbers). After displaying the IP address, the url changes to sites like gorillaleak.com and americanprofile.com. I've run AVG anti-spyware and nothing came up.

Is this some sort of virus or spyware? If so, then why didn't AVG catch anything? Thankfully, there are no popups, just this weird redirect. This happens every time I open Chrome but sometimes happens when I use Internet Explorer. I don't have Firefox on this computer yet so I'm not sure if this problem extends to FF, it came with Chrome and IE installed and I wasn't sure if adding FF would make my computer slower. I'm not a computer expert so I tend to freak out when something goes wrong with my beloved computer. I don't mind changing my homepage but I'm concerned that this might happen anytime igoogle opens and that ignoring it might make the situation worse in this future, if it is some sort of spyware.

I installed MalwareBytes and its running a full scan w/no results so far. I tried opening IE again and upon logging into google/igoogle, I saw the address bar change from up.bidsystem.com to 3rdage.com. I googled bidsystem and apparently it's part of the Google redirect virus-- but I haven't been getting redirected from clicking on google search results, I've been getting redirected by simply being on the igoogle page and not clicking on anything.

Windows 7 PC, relatively new- about a year old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Run a full scan of MBAM.

Let me know how it goes.
Posted Image

#3 nycstudent

nycstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Run a full scan of MBAM.

Let me know how it goes.

MalwareBytes just finished scanning and no malicious items were detected. What should I do next?
--------

7/13/2012 5:56:26 PM
mbam-log-2012-07-13 (17-56-26).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|Q:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 313707
Time elapsed: 38 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#4 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

download this and run a full scan as well - http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html
Posted Image

#5 nycstudent

nycstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

download this and run a full scan as well - http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

There were 248 tracking objects:
Memory items scanned : 594
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 54306
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 10766
File threats detected : 248

I also tried running Windows Defender scan, Microsoft Safety Scanner and MBAM for a 2nd time. Nothing came up. I don't get it, I would think that redirecting sites would be something serious but its not showing up on any of these scans!

#6 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ok there are other tools to help but I am not authorized to help you with these tools.

So, to the best of my knowledge you have a hidden infection so I recommend to post in the following forum for more indepth and detail look from one of the malware removal team.

Before you post in forum below please read this topic and follow the steps starting at step 4 thru step 10 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Post a new topic in the following forum - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
Posted Image

#7 nycstudent

nycstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users