Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brightness changes on its own.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have tried HP support for this problem 3 or 4 times, and each time they were not able to help me.

I have purchased a HP Pavilion dv6z-7000 with the following specs:
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M (3.0GHz/2.1GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
• 2GB AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M Graphics
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel® only, No PowerPoint®/Outlook®
• FREE Upgrade to 640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• No additional security software
• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
• 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone + HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

When the computer is running on batter power, the brightness changes on its own. For example, if I am looking at a webpage with a white background and some photos on it and then switch to a mostly white webpage, the brightness slightly increases. It only seems to change when content changes on the screen. I have not noticed it much in applications other than a web browser (I think it’s just more noticeable with a browser due to the frequency of a white page) but I have reproduced the changes with IE/Firefox/Chrome.

Drivers have been updated and other troubleshooting steps were taken. However, I am not sure this is a defect in the product as it is a power saving feature. I had purchased another Pavilion dv6 model and that laptop had the same issue (I returned that one within the 21 day period to upgrade to better specs).

If this is not a defect in the product and is a power saving feature, how do I turn this off? I have looked in the power options everywhere, even the advanced options. I have even checked the BIOS settings to see if there is an ambient light sensor or something along those lines. My technical proficiency is pretty good, so feel free to advise me as such.

Thank you so much for your help. I am really hoping someone here can help me as no HP Customer Support Representative has been able to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hi -
I noted that your report on the HP forum about 24 hours ago still has no answer posted to it. (35 + views)
It may take a day or so for them to reply with an answer (they are slow over there), but please keep an eye on that post -

Thank You -

#3 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I posted that post on that forum along with this one. I have spent days before all of this talking with techs.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

<<When the computer is running on batter power...>>

FWIW: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00825528&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5276635

Louis

#5 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

***UPDATE: Issue Resolved***
I contacted HP support again, in hopes my video would help solve the issue. While helping me, the tech thought of something he had herd of once. With the AMD graphics cards, there is a feature called PowerPlay. In PowerPlay there is a a setting called Vari-Bright which varies your brightness biased on your usage. In order to change this setting:
1: Right click on desktop and click "Graphics Properties".
2: Click on PowerPlay (If you do not see it, use the search box to find it by typing in "PowerPlay").
3: In the PowerPlay menu, you will have the option to disable Veri-Bright or change its settings.
Thank you to those who responded to try and help me.
***UPDATE: Issue Resolved***

Edited by tiverty, 15 July 2012 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users