Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security System - How to Remove Rogue Infection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AdgerAL

AdgerAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

‘Windows Security System’ malware/adware has taken over WinXP Lenovo T61 laptop. Windows style screen with ‘loss of data’ error pretends to scan disk and find Trojans and Worms; All Windows functions are locked (including Task Manager); program looking for purchase of software to handle; All networking items are disabled (not able to connect to any network).
I have tried running Malwarebytes (found 144 items linked to ‘Marine Aquarium 3 Free’) along with tdsskiller in safe mode; not able to update mbam to current (10 days old) as no network connection. I have also utilized the notes from Safety Anti-Spyware and Super Safety Anti-Spyware to manually research physical known files and registry entries (no additional files/entries exist). This appears very close to the Virtual Angel but once again, procedures documented are not removing the issue.
Anyone seen this little ‘feature’ and suggestions of how to remove?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Can you check if you can scan for infections in safemode with networking?

#3 AdgerAL

AdgerAL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply; I have installed and ran Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking but limited to just the downloaded version; all network options are unavailable (even in safe mode) and not able to download the latest library updates to Malwarebytes (10 days old)
With all network options disabled (even in networking mode)I am limited to options to run to resolve

All thoughts are welcome; currenlty have a paperweight (laptop)

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Can you try a system restore to previous point probably before you were infected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users