Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-RW not working right

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I got this used Toshiba laptop computer. The built in DVD writer will play a DVD movie. But when I put in an audio CD it just shows it as a blank CD. Anyone know what could be the problem? The same goes if I put in a CD that has pictures on it.

For some reason the drive just doesn't recognize regular CD's.

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2012 - 07:15 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

There are 2 different laser diodes inside. Sounds like the one that reads CDs has failed, but the DVD one is OK. Time for a new drive.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Thanks very much for the information Frank. So now that I know I'll just be working with DVD's for the time being.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

One other thing to try as a test. If you have a bootable CD, When the Toshiba Logo appears start pressing F12 and select the DVD drive and see if it starts to boot from it don't bother to finish booting. Do not install anything just see if it boots from it.

If that works then the drive is OK and there is a software problem. If it doesn't start booting then the drive is bad.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

Thanks Roger good idea. I will try that first.

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

OK Rodger I do have a Nordahl boot CD and I could boot from the CD. Not only that, I could even see the contents on the CD once I was in Windows. But regular CD's still
show up as blank. And that goes for my burned CD's and commercial CD's. That would indicate the drive can read CD's. So what else could be the problem?

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Bizarre. I would try to uninstall the drive in device manager, then let it grow back.
If that doesn't work, I would get another hard drive and install XP on it to see if the CD drive is OK on a new install.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#8 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Frank, I can try unsnarling the CD drive from device manager. But installing XP on a new hard drive is not possible as I don't have the original CD.

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I just did what you said Frank, I let XP reinstall the drive. I still cannot open a CD but, I can write a CD and then open it with the drive. It seems that only Cd's that I burn with the drive I can open with it and DVD's of course. What could possibly cause that?

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Did you try ejecting the disc before reading it?

Are you sure it was a CD you booted from. It just seems strange.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yes I'm sure Roger it was a 700MB CD that I booted from. At this time that doesn't really matter. Like I said before, I did burn a CD with the drive and am able to view the contents on the CD. But any other CD's that I put in only show up as a blank CD.

There has to be some kind of software or driver problem. The driver is Microsoft 5.1.2535.0 7/1/2001. That is exactly the same driver that is on my desktop computer and that works just fine. Only that CD writer is made by LG.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Since it can read its own discs, that tends to throw suspicion back on the drive. If it were software then I wouldn't expect it to read any discs even ones it made.

Back in the day, A floppy drive could be out of alignment and only read and write discs it formatted. I don't know if DVD drives can suffer from that however.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

That is very interesting Roger. I still do use floppy disks and always wondered, if I inserted a floppy in another computer, why it wanted to format it for me when I knew it had stuff on it. Sometimes I even threw the floppy disk away, assuming it must be bad. After all these years I learned something I never knew before.

As for my DVD drive that plays any DVDs and writes and reads it's own Cd's, that tells me that only the CD portion is out of alignment, I assume

Thanks Roger

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I would assume that if it reads commercial DVDs such as movies that the DVD portion is OK.

I will also mention that I have switched to DVD blanks as my smallest media excluding if I want to make a Music CD. I normally use DVDs and BluRay blanks nowadays.
So I wouldn't consider a loss of CD functionality a total disaster except for loading software. And for that if you have another computer you can always copy to a 1Gb flash drive and install from that.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

That is great advice Roger. I can certainly live with that. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic