Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk and Scannow Freezing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tcbull812

tcbull812

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

Recently, I have noticed that my computer has been starting to hang on certain applications. For the most part it runs okay, but it will freeze up from time to time on Google Chrome, Control Panel, and random others. When it freezes, it will lock up explorer.exe and generally will require a manual restart. My first thought was to check the hard drive for bad sectors. I have run chkdsk, chkdsk /r, and sfc/ scannow and all will freeze up. Chkdsk and /r will freeze at stage four on the same file each time and scannow freezes at 33% each time. I'm obviously suspicious of a failing hard drive at this point.

I have let chkdsk run overnight to be sure that it isn't just being slow, but it remains at the same place in chkdsk. My HDD LED will flicker up until the point that it reaches the freezing point of both scans at which point it will remain on with no flickering.

Like I said, the computer is functional about 50% of the time but I'm scared to use it due to the failures. I have tried to back up my data at which point that fails and tells me to run a chkdsk. I'm going to back up my important documents on a flash drive, but would like to have a full backup reference point instead of just a manual file backup.

Is there any definitive test that I can do that will let me know what is going on? So far, chkdsk and scannow have not reported any errors with my hard drive so it's hard for me to completely write off the hard drive at this point. I'm really hoping that it's just a bad sector that I can repair, but if so I don't think chkdsk would be completely freezing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My computer info is as follows.

Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop (Model No. 1340)

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3837 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 290205 MB, Free - 164575 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 7501 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K171D

Thanks!

TC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Hi tcbull812,

Your Dell laptop should have built in hardware diagnostics. I would encourage you to backup any important files on the computer before continuing.

Here is your Dell™ Studio XPS™ Laptop 1340 Technical Guide.
Under Troubleshooting, follow the procedure on page 281; Starting the Dell Diagnostics on Laptop Computers to run the Pre-boot System Assessment (PSA). After the PSA runs, test the hard drive specifically.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users