Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyware not good anymore?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys,

I tried to update my supersas, and it says my definitions are up to date, which is hard to believe, because it has been 5 months since the last time I updated my supersas.

So, i did some research, which ultimately led to discovering that supersas is not so good anymore...is this true? I read on some forums that it is like that.

Just want to confirm - the latest Supersas is 5.5.1012 right? It has new interface? Now I am able to download the update.

So, is supersas still good? I know bleepingcomputer always recommends supersas and MBAM, and I know mbam is still powerful.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Which sites did you find that it was saying it was "no longer good anymore"?
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

I believe it was from the supersas forum itself.

For me personally, I find this new version (5.5.1012) is pretty nice, I can see "scan boost" to speed up the scan but uses more computer power.

Also I see the new "repair" feature.

Overall I love it, so does Bleepingcomputer think it is still good?

And just want to confirm, why was I not able to update to the latest definitions before? (When I had version 4.xx.xxx) but as soon as I updated to 5.5.1012, it is all good.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

<<...i did some research, which ultimately led to discovering that supersas is not so good anymore...>>

Can you post an authoritative link for this evaluation?

Opinions...good and bad...abound on the Internet and in forums. Some evaluation of the source of any comment...should always be made before locking it into those brain cells.

Louis

#5 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

It also depends on what they think good means.
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#6 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well, ignoring the people who said it, do people in bleepingcomputer think supersas is still nice tool to have? Because I know I can trust people from BC :)

#7 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well, ignoring the people who said it, do people in bleepingcomputer think supersas is still nice tool to have? Because I know I can trust people from BC :)

I use both MBAM and Superantispyware.

The reason why is:

Superanti will pick up some things while MBAM picks others that Superanti did not find and it works the other way around MBAM picks up some while Superanti picks up the rest.
Posted Image

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

I still use and like SAS both on my machines and here when cleaning peoples computers. As mentioned I also do run MBAM (Malwarebytes). It is an effective tool, updated.accurate and supported.

You should uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware
Reboot
Then get Free or Pro here
http://www.superantispyware.com/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

For me personally, I find this new version (5.5.1012) is pretty nice,

According to the SAS Product Release history page http://www.superantispyware.com/producthistory.html?id=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

The latest release is 5.5.1006 not 1012 Are you sure you have a legitimate copy of SAS?

I would follow boopme's directions of uninstalling, rebooting and downloading a fresh copy and updating definitions.

And yes I use SAS as an on-demand tool. I find it an effective compliment to my anti-malware arsenal.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

COU Event: SUPERAntiSpyware v5.5.1012 released 07/11/12.
Major Geeks: SUPERAntiSpyware Free v5.5.1012

I downloaded and updated to 5.5.0.1012 the same day from the link posted on COU which goes directly to SAS. The change log/version history had not been updated yet. Apparently they have not updated the version info either.

I checked the SAS Forum and found this discussion topic.

Decided not to wait to be automatically notified of version 5.5.1006 so went straight to the download site. Was told I was downloading 5.5.1006 but when I installed, programme says it is 5.5.1012.

No release notes regarding difference between the two.

Yesterday's (07/13/12) Post # 8 by SAS Mod.

5.1.1002 is the newest version released into the internal updater, the version number went from 5.1.xxxx to 5.5.xxxx as it was a big update including threat mapping. The 5.5.xxxx version will be released into the internal updater shortly.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ah, thank you quietman7. Yes, mine is 5.5.1012, and like quietman7 said, it is legitimate verison :) Even he is using it himself.

Well, i think it is pretty new, i think it was 2 or 4 days ago that 5.5.1012 was released, so, still very new.

Its cool , it has new "rescue scan" which is basically for heavily infected computers. Also has boost scan to speed up scans, and "repair" features.

Well, if these knowledgeable people say supersas is still good, then I will continue to use it myself.

Thank you so much everyon who answered in this post, such an awesome community BC is. Thank you once again.

Oh by the way, how do I make sure that supersas will download the latest definitions when I tell it to? I think I mentioned that I tried updating to the latest versioon when I was using version 4.xxxxx.xx, and even though it said that my database definitions are up to date, it still would not update. It was like 5 months outdated lol.

WAs this just an error from supersas? I hope it wont happen again in this new version, 5.5.1012!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

You should always try updating through the program's interface first. Right-click on the systray icon and choose Check for Updates... or launch the program and click the Check for Updates button. Sometimes the servers are busy, undergoing maintenance, etc and there could be problems completing the update. If that occurs, you can always manually downloading the definitions from here. Click on the link for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop...then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users