Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound after returning from sleep mode.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. HP desktop model h8-1234. This is all I know of my audio which according to the update driver option, and Microsoft update, it is up to date:

Attached File  sound.JPG   44.27KB   6 downloads

I have all the latest and optional updates to my PC using Microsoft update. I just bought this computer less than a week ago, so no real modifications to the system. If I put it into sleep mode for only a few minutes, the audio does not disappear. If it's in sleep mode for several hours, like when I sleep, there is no audio upon waking the computer. I read that for some people the audio driver disappears. That is not the case for me because the above pic was taken right now after returning from sleep mode with no sound. Also, I can go test my headphones using the audio thing and I'll get the little windows tune from here:

Attached File  sound 2.JPG   36.74KB   7 downloads

But when I try to test the speakers section there is no sound as seen here:

Attached File  sound 3.JPG   36.86KB   5 downloads

The only way to solve this problem is to restart my computer and obviously that defeats the purpose of sleep mode.

Forgot to mention that I'm using headphones with 2 lines into the computer, one for the audio and the other for the mic. I do not have speakers.

Edited by solaris32, 13 July 2012 - 06:37 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

The only way to solve this problem is to restart my computer and obviously that defeats the purpose of sleep mode.

I have never used sleep mode, and I feel that I have never needed this feature on any computer.
Since it seems that there are usually more problems caused by this application on most computers, I still stand by my original decision -

Why do you need or want Sleep/Stand By/Hibernate to operate, and do you feel that there is a problem with turning a computer off when finished working.
If I ever leave a computer for several hours, I will always shut it down, and often turn it off at the wall also.

Just my personal opinion -

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

I like the convenience of sleep. I don't have to wait for it to shut down, and I don't have to wait for it to boot up. I use my PC probably 8+ hours a day, and I like to put it to sleep to save power while *I* sleep.

I'm by far the only person with this issue and it seems to be rarely resolved. Certainly no method has worked for me. If I can't get this solved I may have to start doing your method. I'd rather my computer work like it's supposed to though.

Edited by solaris32, 13 July 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#4 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

In the first post I showed how there were 2 options when you click the volume button. What I didn't notice until now is that when the audio works properly there is only one option. Here is what I mean:

Attached File  sound 4.jpg   18.43KB   5 downloads

When the sound no longer works there is a 2nd option to the left of that, completely identical except it has the headphones image. Hopefully this can help clue someone knowledgeable into what's going on. Yes I use headphones with 2 lines into the computer, one for the audio and the other for the mic.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I just bought this computer less than a week ago,

If the computer is not operating the way that it is meant to (from the instruction manual) please return it -
Do you think the computer is in a faulty condition ?? Because you will have at least a one year warranty on a new machine -

A quick fix from the forum may be just a "quick fix". But think in the longer term, if the computer is faulty, according to the manual supplied.
Have you consulted the information that was given with the computer, and are there any ideas contained in it ??

#6 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

You know full well this isn't a hardware issue. Returning it and going through the hassle of reinstalling everything, and then hoping that the same thing doesn't happen again (maybe because it's software and not hardware related) would just be a huge waste of time.

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Yup, after being in sleep mode for the past 2 hours, there's no sound, and I get this at the volume control:

Attached File  sound 4.jpg   24.16KB   3 downloads

As you can see when the sound no longer works there is the headphone volume which can only play windows sounds. When the sound works it's just the speaker volume.

#8 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

I can wait for help.

EDIT: an interesting thing just happened. I was listening to music when I plugged in an external drive. The sound jumped then quit, and now I have no sound similar to returning from sleep. There's the 2 volume bars as shown above as well.

Edited by solaris32, 15 July 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#9 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

I can wait for help.

EDIT: an interesting thing just happened. I was listening to music when I plugged in an external drive. The sound jumped then quit, and now I have no sound similar to returning from sleep. There's the 2 volume bars as shown above as well.

Try this :

Unplug all ubs devices "partically usb headset"
Go to device manager --- select audio drive --- right click -- uninstall --- REBOOT IMMEDISTELY --- {DO NOT DO ANYTHING ...LET WDS REINSTALL ALL MISSING DRIVES FIRST ...

If it does not help .... Go to HP support to see if there is any new update firmware for your pc " Only click the updates to install "

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Here is your Original Audio drive : Download and install it {Try not to install any update from wds update -- usually in option}

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-101082-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5231389&sw_lang=

{BTW , I use sleepmode all the time .. no problem so far .}

Edited by Wds 7, 15 July 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#10 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I unplugged all USB except my mouse and keyboard, my headphones too even though they aren't USB. I then uninstalled the audio driver shown in the first picture of my first post using device manager (did not select to delete the driver files). The hardware disappeared in device manager. I then immediately restarted and checked device manager and the driver was back. I'll put it into sleep mode tonight and see how it is in the morning. I'll let you know.

Edited by solaris32, 15 July 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#11 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

Didn't work, and I even tried unplugging my headphones before sleep, then plugging them back in after waking. Next I will try installing that driver you linked to, maybe it's updated or something.

EDIT: That didn't work either, and I even tried an Ati driver which was said to be compatible with mine (sound works), but still same problem when returning from sleep. I'm out of ideas now.

Also, if I uninstall the driver then reinstall it, the sound works again.

Edited by solaris32, 16 July 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#12 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Some thing interferes with our sound drive , more often a headphone or video program has its own sound drive and try to take over your generic window's .
You can try another speaker set to see if it help .

#13 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Some thing interferes with our sound drive , more often a headphone or video program has its own sound drive and try to take over your generic window's .
You can try another speaker set to see if it help .

I thought something like that too which is why I said I unplugged my headphones before putting it to sleep, but I still had no sound when waking it up.

#14 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Bump.

#15 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Another interesting thing happened. My computer has a bluetooth device. Since I don't use it I decided to turn it off. Doing so immediately got rid of my sound like the times before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users