Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Mail hangs in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndyH-bc

AndyH-bc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

For the past week, something is effecting Firefox when in Yahoo Mail. It does not happen at any other web site.: 64 bit Win7 Home Premium, dial-up internet connection

Firefox starts doing something very intensive once in Yahoo Mail. Sometimes it is in this state when it displays the first screen of mail boxes after I sign on. More often I can do a little bit of something, such as open a mail box or a single e-mail therein before the problem starts. From my perspective it starts this aberrant behavior just when I click on the next thing: open another e-mail; open a different mail box; delete an e-mail.

Normally while in Yahoo Mail, or at any other web site, Task Manager reports CUP usage at from 0% to 5%, occasionally a few percent more for a very brief flash. When this Yahoo Mail thing starts
# The CPU usage jumps to 25%, with occasional bursts up to 30+%. Task Manger shows it is due to the process firefox.exe*32.
# The browser will not respond to any controls. I can do nothing with the keyboard or mouse. No menu will open. This peculiar activity has never ended on its own.
# Task Manager reports the immediate drop of network activity to zero -- nothing going on over the phone line -- or so Windows thinks. Disconnecting the phone line does not release the browser or lower its CPU use.
# A few times the entire computer has locked. I have only been able to get out of it with the hardware reset button.
# Sometimes Firefox is totally unresponsive itself but I can cancel it via Task Manager.
# Sometimes the one and only thing in Firefox that responds is the "X" in the upper right hand corner. The browser screen disappears immediately.
# BUT, Task Manager shows the process firefox.exe*32 still running at 25% CPU. I can end said process with Task Manager, whereby CPU usage immediately drops to 0%, or somewhere close.
# Whatever is going on through Firefox prevents me from doing much with e-mail and it seems probable that IT is doing something I don't want done on my computer, although I have not yet seen symptoms of that.

# I do not allow automatic updates of any kind. No changes or additions (unless sneaky stealth attacks?) had been made to Firefox since update to version 12 in May. The only add-on I have is the Mozilla Archive Format, which I've been using for years. Windows and various security applications are up-to-date.
# Several up-to-date anti-malware programs have found nothing on my computer.
# I tried Chrome and Opera. They do not have this problem, but I don't like either of them and they have issues of their own anyway.
# I uninstalled Firefox, deleted everything related I could find, downloaded the current version (13) from Mozilla, installed, and rebuilt all my preferences. I got my bookmarks back by restoring from a bookmark backup. This changed nothing.
# I tried "Restart With Add-ons Disabled" in Firefox but that did not help.
# I tried "Reset Firefox" but that did not help.
# I have considered other reported Firefox issues and troubleshooting approaches but nothing else seems relevant.

Where can I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users