Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Work computer affected with new virus, please help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 himynameisstewie

himynameisstewie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

When I look at the IE browser history on my work computer I will see a bunch of unusual websites I didn't go to and very often a website called o.traffixeng.com. These websites have even shown up in the history on days when I haven't been on the computer. Then today a fake virus scanner appeared, at which point, I told my boss there is something seriously wrong with my computer.. Anyway he said that it is my fault this fake scanner showed up because I was using the internet.. but the thing is I have rarely been using the internet lately except to use websites that I need to access. Admittedly I have browsed the internet at times despite being told not to, but I haven'tI done any of the activities that would typically cause a computer to be compromised, really the only the possibility is that I got a drive-by download.
I'm really not sure how to fix all the things that are wrong with the computer, I suggested to my boss that perhaps it might have be a good idea to have anti-virus protection as there is none on any of the computers at the workplace (I only realized this today and never even thought to check that the computer was safe to use before going on IE)

Anyways my point in writing this is simply to see if anyone can provide me with information as to what this o.traffixeng.com thing is? I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what kind of mistakes I've made while using the internet to create such a problem. I don't even know how to fix such a badly infected computer, I've never had any major problems with any other computer I've used or owned, therefore I have no experience in fixing anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

I don't think people here can help you fix a computer you have no "full legal access" to.
If the system is property of your boss, he's responsible for the functionality of that particular system.

I do understand he'll be crossed with you for not obeying his instructions though, so maybe you could ask him to be allowed to fix it (in your own time?) and then report back here...
The only sound advice right now is to immediately make a back-up of all your important files on an optical disc (CD / DVD). Please take notion of the fact your back-up could contain infected files as well, so do not transfer them to any other system just yet.

Furthermore, it's never safe to browse the web without proper AV, especially when specifically told not to do so.
It's really great you're being honest about that though!

Respectfully,

-Sec

#3 EliotAxer

EliotAxer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

Well, you can always hire a professional to fix it for you, but if you aren't able to do that, follow the steps on this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-a-trojan-virus-worm-or-malware/ Good luck

#4 himynameisstewie

himynameisstewie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

I did ask my boss if he would please hire a professional to come in to fix my computer but he said No because it costs money. I thought it was a reasonable suggestion considering that I'm not the only person who is having problems with their computer. I could be the only person that has this specific o.traffixeng.com virus, but there's got to be other compromised computers besides just mine.. Even my boss is doing extremely high risk activities on his computer. IMO, it seems a bit arrogant for him to have called me stupid and to have said I'm incompetent with computers when it's very possible that his computer is all out of sorts too.
I should probably clarify that I'm not trying to fix the computer myself or even have anyone else try to help me fix it.. I'm just looking for someone to help explain to me what kind of infection this is that has taken over the computer and what the risks are if it is not removed from the computer. Should I offer to pay to have the problem fixed using my own money? It seems to be the general consensus that I wrecked the computer so probably it would be best for me to be accountable for my actions.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi -
Do not follow the directions on this page, this is for general info only =>> What Is o.traffixeng.com?

First you must install an Antivirus program on any computer that you can get your hands on -
Antivirus programs are Free and take almost no extra work from you, or your boss.

This is your only chance to remove this infection -
Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== Follow steps :step4: up to step :step10: -

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==> HERE <== Please include the link to this topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Good Luck -

#6 EliotAxer

EliotAxer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

I highly recommend Avast! free antivirus, it was very helpful for me. It has a feature called Boot-time scan, which scans your whole computer before starting up, preventing any viruses from duplicating themselves. It also comes with a 20-day free trial of the premium version, which should be more than enough time to fix your computer. Another excellent program is SUPERantispyware. Both of these are updated daily, so they will most likely be able to find the viruses affecting you. Links: http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download?omcid=WEB_PRG-FAV_share-center_Recommendation&utm_source=prg&utm_medium=prg_btn&utm_campaign=Recommendation http://superantispyware.com/

#7 himynameisstewie

himynameisstewie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I pointed out to my employers that there is this browser hijacker on my computer and showed that there are these weird websites showing up in the browser history.. They fired me for inappropriate use of the internet.. ugh, that awkward moment when you're looking for a new job and have to explain that you got fired because your employer thought you were looking at adult websites.

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

I really hate to see honesty get punished by ignorance... :(
I'm sorry to hear so, I wish you the best of luck further on!

-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users