Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer on Vista crashes when inserting front-panel USB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frikt

frikt

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 and have this occasional problem when inserting a (any!) USB storage device on the front panel slot of my CPU, sometimes Explorer crashes. This usually results in me having to manually reboot (proper shutdown is unresponsive). Other programs that might be on while inserting USB (browsers, etc) are not affected.

I wonder if this is a hardware issue?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

I wonder if this is a hardware issue?

Almost certainly. Is it only the one usb port that's a problem? Also, please look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

#3 frikt

frikt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

There are 2 USB slots on the front panel and both of these have the same problem. The USB slots at the back of the CPU are fine.

In Device Manager, I can see 2 items with problems (yellow icon).

i. Ports / Comunications Port (COM1)
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

ii. Storage Controllers / Microsoft iSCI Initiator
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

The other thing about this USB issue is that, the problem does not arise if a USB storage device is inserted before the computer is started up. It's only when the computer is already on and a USB device is inserted that Explorer crashes.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver. Reboot and see if that helps.

#5 frikt

frikt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

My PC was custom built by a 3rd party company. I'm guessing I would look for the chipset driver of the motherboard's brand?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

yes sir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users