Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty Folders Appearing in C:\ (not hex)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hammer-time

Hammer-time

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Greetings

I'm looking for assistance on an issue, I have a couple of Windows 7 machines that have suddenly had several empty folders appear in the root directory of the c drive.

The odd part about it, they are all labelled <computername>.1234 or four to five seemingly random numbers. They aren't a jumble of hex numbers that I'd expect from Windows Update in XP (which is pretty much the only thing google has spat out for me on this issue). I'm trying to find out if this is a virus or what sort of software might be creating these folders. I did a full MBAM of the system, as well as a full GMER scan, and gave it a shot with TDSSKiller as well a Sophos AV and they have all found nothing. I also took a look using process explorer and autoruns and I didn't find anything suspicious as far as I could tell so I don't think it's malicious. I just want to figure out what could be creating them, or if anyone had heard of this issue.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi -
Could you post a screen shot, or a link to an ImgShack picture of these folders when you try to open them ??
You can always partially blank the computer name if you are concerned about privacy, it is just the numbering system that may help -

Thank You -

#3 Hammer-time

Hammer-time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Sure, my apologies, it seems to be an underscore, not a dot and it's five digits.

Attached File  Folders.jpg   136.23KB   15 downloads

#4 Hammer-time

Hammer-time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

No ideas I take it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Such folders may possibly be created by backup software or some other program which utilizes temporary folders, which are subsequently emptied of contents.

Looking at the dates...I see that you haven't tried deleting them. I would do that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users