Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 isandrus

isandrus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hello, I recently bought a Gateway lap top and I am trying to install a wireless router(Netgear wgr614v6). I followed the directions on the installation cd exactly over and over and still get the same result. All of the lights on my DSL modem and wireless router say it is working, but when I log on to the internet I show no connection. I even took the router back and exchanged it for a new one, but I still get the same result. Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

Start with disconnecting the power from the modem, router, and PCs. Not turn them off but unplug from the wall. After one minute plug the modem in. After another minute plug the router in. Finial turn the computer(s) on.
From you notebook after it boots. Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /release Then type in ipconfig /renew
See if you are online.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 isandrus

isandrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

I tried that several times, but I still get timed out (no connection) when I get on the internet. It is my desk top that won't connect. I know my notebook works because I can log on using my neighbors wireless connection. My desk top logs on fine as soon as I bypass the router. I followed your instructions in the order given (which is also the instruction on the CD). All the lights, power DSL, internet, are solid before I plug in the router and after. Yet still no connection. I also tried pushing that reset button on the back of the router. What else can I try?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

From your first post I assumed you were talking about your Notebook. Have you tried what I suggested on your DeskTop? Are you connected wired or wireless via Desk Top? If wired try a different port.

#5 isandrus

isandrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

I have been trying with my desk top. I have it "wired" and I am trying to set up the wireless router between the modem and the desk top to run my notebook. I have been trying to install it on my desk top all along. Although I have tried to install it on my notebook just for fun and ended up with the same result. I assumed you meant the ports on the router, I did try all of them, but me desk top only has one ethernet port.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

What Default Gateway is listed? Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /all

#7 isandrus

isandrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

In the web browser (IE, FF, Oprea, it does not matter) enter 192.168.0.100 and log into your router. If you have never log in try admin in the password field and leave the user blank.
What is the WAN gateway?
To be honest when you did the /release /renew that should have brough you online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users