Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phone co. messed up my network!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IPT

IPT

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

So I set up a newtwork a while ago with an old Linkseys router. I am not a techie so I did it all with help from here. There is a main computer up front with shared docs. Two laptops get wireless internet and to the shared docs via the router. I also just upgraded the "host computer" and using windows 7 wizards re-established the network. Along comes the phone company to "upgrade" our router. They switch things over and now our network is kaput. Only one computer can get to the intenet and neither can get to the shared docs. When I use the wizard to trouble shoot it I get a "the DNS server is not responding". I had them come back and they now tell me I set up a "port" on the old router and they need to know what it was so they can re-configure the Networking. Unfortunatly I set that all up a long time ago and cannot for the life of me remember the password to get into the Linksy router.

Is there anyway I can get the "port" info they want? I can plug the old router into the shared computer and swap the wireless connection and connect, but I can't keep swapping back and forth all day long. Really ticks me off since last week all was working just fine. Now I am "upgraded" and aside form having faster internet on 2 out of 3 computers I have no Networking at all. There must be somewhy to get the info they need or for them to reconfigure it without their help, no?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Have you tried looking on the network adapters' IPv4 address if it its set to automatically obtain IP address or DHCP? Run cmd on start button and type ipconfig/all. Copy/Paste the logs on your next reply. Do this also on the other PCs to check if DHCP is enabled.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users