Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Complete Lock Ups

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi I'm new to the forums, and have been having a continuing issue going on a year now where my computer will lock up completely at random times. Sometimes it won't do it all day, sometimes it will happen 3 times in 10 minutes.

It is very frustrating to deal with, and I have been trying to replace parts and diagnosis the issue on my own for some time now. (I am a computer technician at a local mom and pops computer repair store) So I know a decent amount about fixing and diagnosing computers.

I'm not sure on what data to even give to start with, but I'm just going to go ahead and throw out some stuff I recently did.
-Just bought a new 650W RAIDMax PSU and installed it a week ago, didn't fix the lock-ups.
-I also just yesterday installed a new 120GB SSD and in the process had to update my motherboard bios to work with it.

Even after those two replacements I have the same continuing issue...

I have done a lot of random things I've thought to try over the course of this year. So ill just bullet point some of it, so this isn't so long.

(This is in no specific order)
1. Replaced, reseated, cleaned the slots, and did several memory tests which came back with no errors.
2. Reinstalled Windows 7 Pro on both my old 500GB HDD and this new 120GB SSD
3. Replaced my CPU coolant with a brand new one to make sure it's not overheating
4. About 6 months ago I bought a new video card, an AMD HD 6950
5. Moved everything over to a different case just to make sure there wasn't some bad metal contact.
6. Completely removed my 1TB External HDD which is plugged up via eSATA.
7. Unplugged every unnecessary USB device, CD/DVD-ROM, and anything else not needed to just let the computer boot up.
8. Installed all and any driver updates I could find for my motherboard.

I am currently on my laptop writing this seeing as my desktop froze up when I was halfway through the first time, which I can use to easily reply as fast as possible.

I'd like to note that since yesterday when I installed the new SSD it seems to lock up a little more frequently, but can't be completely sure.

My desktop specs are

- Windows 7 Pro 64bit
- AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2.21 GHz socket AM2+ (940)
- ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard with Nvidia chipset (SPP190)
- 6GBs of DDR2 RAM (2x2GB, 1x1GB,2x512MB)
- AMD Radeon HD 6950
- 120GB Mushkin SSD
- DVD-RW Drive
- External eSATA 1TB HDD

I have a program called CPU-Z installed so I can upload the full text file with my specs but it seemed a little huge and ridiculous.
But let me know of any other info I can give to assist in any way to fix my computer.

I greatly appreciate any and all help!

Edited by fuhrainkey, 12 July 2012 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

I noticed you have a 120gb Corsair SSD. Have you tried updating the firmware on it?

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

KING_OF_SAND - I just updated the brand, as I noticed it actually wasn't a Corsair SSD, but a Mushkin SSD.

Besides the fact, my lock-up issue was happening long before I put the SSD in.

Thanks for your response.

#4 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Try disabling ALL startup programs.

And have you tried restoring back to a previous date?

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

KING_OF_SAND - Yeah like stated in my original post...I have formatted multiple times during the course of my locking up issue, so I don't believe it's anything software related, but definitely hardware.

#6 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'd like to point out that now that I have made my most recent changes...installing the SSD, updating my motherboard BIOS and changing my CPU Coolant that my computer now locks up a lot more frequently...I don't think it makes it past 10 mins of being on anymore without locking up.

Also that I have tried unplugging my SSD completely, and plugging in my previous drive, the 500GB HDD and it is still just as frequent.

#7 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Have you tried a different SATA connection?
What RAID configuration is you computer in if any at all?
Does it freeze while in safe mode? If not run a windows memory diagnostic
Is you BIOS set to default settings?

Edited by KING_OF_SAND, 12 July 2012 - 09:06 PM.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

KING_OF_SAND - Currently trying a different SATA cord, and port.
I'm not sure if I'm using a RAID configuration to be honest, I have little experience with RAID.
It not only freezes in safe mode, but it will even freeze as its turning on at the BIOS splash screen.
And yes I have set BIOS to defaults several times.

#9 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

I noticed you are running at least 3 different types of RAM.
It might be a good idea to leave 1 slot of 2GB, or 2x2GB if you're sure they are the EXACT SAME model and type.
Or, as your parents run a shop, get a single 4GB to test with. Take a module that runs on a frequency your MoBo and CPU work with. (DDR2-800Mhz)
Then disconnect all SATA drives (Data + Power) except the one containing your primary OS and see how she fares.

It's highly likely your 3 types of modules do not like working with each other, with respect to frequency for example.
Also, there's a possibility your MoBo just messes up with regards to single and dual channel memory regardless.

Ah, and while searching for your memory compatability, I just noticed on the Asus Spec page for your MoBo that in fact, your MoBo, does not really support your CPU, that may be an issue as well...

Just my cents,

-Sec

EDIT: spelling

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 13 July 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#10 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

S3cS3arch3r - I've tried many different memory configurations previously...but it was some time ago and I cant remember everything I tried...I do have 2 different sets of 2x2GB sticks of the EXACT SAME DDR2 brand and speed...which I feel like I may have tried...but I'll give it another go anyways.

Also I searched that site you linked, and actually did find the "Phenom X4 9500" in the list...? so maybe my mobo does support it after all?

I'd also like to note that this morning before work I changed out my SATA cord with a new one going to my SSD and plugged it into the SATA 1 port, instead of the regular one I use which is SATA 0.
I just got home a little bit ago and my computer wasn't frozen, I made sure to leave some windows open so I could tell if it had restarted itself or anything like that...and it seems to not be frozen, ill let you know if it does the rest of the night.
But I did just check my event logs and noticed a TON of yellow flagged warnings for "Source: nvstor64 - Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

Could this have something to do with my locking up issue? and if so...what is this?
I have little knowledge on RAID...and my computer shouldn't be in any RAID setup that I know of...so I don't know what RaidPort0 could even be...

Thanks for your response!

#11 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

It's 5pm now, computer froze up on me finally for good, and had to hard boot.

the last time I got one of the "nvstor64" warnings was at around 2pm when I last posted...and they kinda just stopped happening but while I was getting them I'd get about a minute freeze up, then it'd go back to working, and it kept doing that once every like 5-10 minutes.

I just pulled all memory, and installed JUST 2x2GB 800MHz chips of Gskill memory, and I've left my external HDD unplugged completely since last night, so I've only got my 1 120GB SSD pluggged into my SATA 1 port.

#12 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

Sorry, you're 101% accurate!!!, your MoBo indeed fully supports your CPU. I mixed up the CPU-series.

I had many troubles myself running different types of memory in the past, resulting in BSODs and other random issues.
I always make sure to run as little banks as possible, and always make sure they are the exact same model, ***especially*** when using a DUAL CHANNEL feature, but that is "personal"...

RAID and JBOD involve sharing or spreading data on multiple HDD's for speed and/or reliability, and requires a fresh installation of an OS.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID for more info on that.
As your successfully booting your OS from a single HDD, this should NOT be activated on your system.

Keep all other HDD's / SSD's disconnected for now please.

It could be you / someone / something edited the BIOS settings with regards to AHCI / RAID, the easiest and most secure way to eliminate this, would be to use the "restore factory settings" or "restore default settings" or "clear CMOS" option in your BIOS menu.
All your custom-fine-tuning settings are lost, but this will return the setup of your MoBo to the most stable one available.
Make sure to auto-detect your HDD after this, save settings and exit the menu. -> This will reboot your system (black screen can take a bit longer) or even completely shut down your system temporarily and then automatically reboot itself. Do not interfere with this process.

Let it boot up your primary OS and let us know!

Also, if you have installed your OS yourself, can you remember loading any custom Sata RAID drivers during the installation, or installing any specific Sata / RAID drivers afterwards?
Finally, do you know what BIOS version you are running?

\0/
-Sec

#13 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

So I've been running with 2 of the EXACT same chips and it's still freezing up. It's gone back to a full freeze, forcing me to hard reboot it.

I've reset my BIOS settings multiple times and never really changed anything in the first place.

I also have formatted myself multiple times and no I never installed the SATA RAID drivers.

I'm really getting to a point where I feel like my MoBo is just dying out or something...because I feel like I've tried everything else.

If anyone else has ANY advise....I'm open to try anything to get this thing fixed.
Thanks!

#14 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Do you have any means of monitoring the CPU-temperature?
(If not, have a look at SpeedFan 4.46 or the Direct Download Link)

You replaced the coolant between CPU and Cooler, can you remember how much you used?

Is it always a freeze, or do you get BSOD as well, if so, what code?

And last but not least, could this be related???: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/nvstor64-error-causes-frequent-computer-crash/d6117dc9-3fd7-4078-b65a-7cf5f4a8f08e

-Sec

#15 fuhrainkey

fuhrainkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I use a program called HWMonitor, made by the same people that make CPUID.

And yeah when I say I replaced the coolant, I mean I replaced the entire CPU coolant device and put all new thermal paste on it, using the normal amount.
I did this because I also thought maybe it was overheating...but I've switched the coolant and thermal paste twice now and haven't seen any difference.

It seems to be just the freezing now, I use to get a BSOD but it was Memory Management, and when I changed out some of the memory, the BSOD stopped but the freezing didnt...so I assume it's two different issues, and I fixed the memory one.

That could be related? I was getting that nvstor64 error for a while, but now it's stopped giving me that...maybe due to the fact that it COMPLETELY locks up now...not even giving it a chance to save the event giving the error in the event log.
But I'm not sure what to really make of any of it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users