Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dead hdd

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have a WD internal hdd that seems to be dead. It hasn't been in my computer for a few years. I tried hooking it up with adapter to usb and windows doesn't see it. It does show up in bios. It has power and whirs a bit when I turn power on. WD lifeguard tools doesn't see it either.

Any suggestion?

System info: Intel mobo and core 2 duo cpu 3.0 ghz, Win XP pro 32bit fully updated and 4 gb ram. 3 internal hdd (2 120 gb and 1 500gb)not including the problem drive.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi

I can try to help.

Can you tell us more about the problem drive? Specifically, is it IDE or SATA?

Also, are you comfortable hooking it up directly to the motherboard (if you can, I realize that it might be IDE and the mobo might only have SATA jacks)?

James

#3 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

It is ide. I don't have that computer open at the present, which is why I connected it to usb. I ran across it looking for a connection for another computer I am working on, and thought I would see what it would do, while I was waiting for power supply for my current project. I am finishing that one. When it is complete I will try the hd in that one since it is open. First I have to get that one to boot, and that is another story.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data

#4 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

If your BIOS detected it, don't switch systems yet.

Press Start -> Run
Enter compmgmt.msc /s

In the left part, go to "Disc Management"
And check if Windows sees the disc there. If so, a quick format and you'll be good to go!

\0/
-Sec

#5 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

it does see it that way. I was hoping to recover pictures from it.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I was hoping to recover pictures from it.

In that case, I suggest that you wait for James (NeverSayDie) to get back to you and stick with his advice: He will assist you to do just that (recover those pictures).

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 July 2012 - 02:39 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

ok thanks for the help. got another question. I have an external usb drive my wife has a kot of files on. She was moving some files today, and suddenly gets a message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" This is also a WD and lifeguard found no issues either. I have this one currently plugged into my computer, and I get the same messages.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi

Sounds like it is having a hard time seeing the partitions properly on it.

You can wait and see if directly connecting it to the motherboard gives better access or you can try a few things that should allow you to look at it without doing any damage.

We can try using a free open source tool called TestDisk which also has a program included in its package called PhotoRec (for photo recovery of course :) ). The nice thing about TestDisk is it can also repair partition problems.

If you want to try this (they run in Windows and you don't need to change anything about your current setup with the USB connected problem drive) let me know which you want to try first.

Do you want to try to repair the partition table in the drive which will probably make it useable as a normal drive again and it will show up in Windows Explorer?
Or
Do you want to just grab all the image files off of it?

I can provide guidance and instructions for either choice.

James

#9 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

ok thanks for the help. got another question. I have an external usb drive my wife has a kot of files on. She was moving some files today, and suddenly gets a message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" This is also a WD and lifeguard found no issues either. I have this one currently plugged into my computer, and I get the same messages.

Oops, you posted this while I was responding to your other issue.

Do you want to fix this first or the other old drive?

I can only do one at a time in a thread :)

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

May I suggest a quick new topic be created for the "other" question? I think that best .... and I will pick it up if you like, or leave it to James also.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 July 2012 - 03:00 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

NeverSayDie, thanks for your help, and also AustrAllen.

The newer issue is much more important, and my wife presented this to me just a bit ago, while I was trying to recover the old internal hd. That one can wait. I was just fooling around with it while waiting for parts for a different computer and is not that important.

This external WD My Book Essential is much more important. It has all my wife's backups and important files. Windows finds it but gives me the message I mentioned. There are no errors showing in system properties.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Okay, we'll move on that one first, I don't mind doing it in this thread.

Unplug it and don't use it until we are ready to try some stuff with it.

Tell me more about it. Here is what I'm interested in knowing...

So it's a WD My Book Essential.
How big is it?
Are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0?
Could it be nearly full?
What operating system are you using on the machine connected to it (if it's huge then I need to know if you are using it from XP)?
Is the error coming up for everything you do with the drive or just a specific set of files/actions?
What was the last thing done with the drive before the error first popped up?
I think that's it for now :)

Thanks
James

#13 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I would be happy to abandon this thread and start a new one if necessary. as I mentioned, the new problem is much more severe and of greater importance than my desire to recover old photos.

#14 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

It is 250gb usb 2.0 and was connected to laptop with win xp pro 32 bit. She had moved it to a different laptop running win7 pro 64bit and was copying some files. The message popped up and now pops up anytime you try to access it. When she told me, she had disconnected it. I moved it to my desktop (winxp pro32) and get the same message. I ran lifeguard on it with no errors.

Edited by miztrniceguy, 12 July 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Here are our options for what I can help you do. It all depends on the amount of risk your willing to accept.

1. Super Safe Way:
We make a PartedMagic boot CD(free), connect the drive to a laptop or desktop (which has at least 250GB of free space on it) and boot it into PartedMagic and use ddrescue to make an exact copy of the broken drive as an image. We then attempt to repair the image or recover the files from it. If we screw it up, we just make another image and try again. If we are successful, we then apply the successful repair to the broken hard drive. Et voila!

2. Kind of Safe:

We attempt to recover important files directly off of the drive then we try repairing the drive directly. Attempting to recover the files isn't that dangerous but repairing can be.

3. Damn the Torpedoes:

We try a repair on the drive. We can look at the drive first with some tools but since it is probably a filesystem error, we may have to use chkdsk. It could be catastrophic or since it probably needs to repair the MFT (I'm assuming it's an NTFS partition) it might work fine but there could definitely still be some data loss and it may be hard to recover it after the repair.

Let me know what you'd like to do. I'd be happy starting out 'Kind of Safe' and looking at what is there and then deciding which way to continue based on what we see. Especially if you have a specific file or two that is very important to you.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users