Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does this keep popping up on power on? C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Diagnostics\Deployment\fkpaekuf.dll

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zaros

Zaros

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I had a pretty bad virus on my computer, and Norton would block it every 2 minutes or so, until I downloaded Spybot and did a scan, then did a system restore and it seems like it was taken away. Now everytime I turn on my computer, I get a pop up called "RunDLL" and it says "There was a problem starting: C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Diagnostics\Deployment\fkpaekuf.dll The specified module could not be found." Please tell me how to fix this, or what it is, and if it's still possible to have that virus on my computer without me knowing about it. Thank you very much! =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

I would advice to read, and follow up on this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html

Good luck!

\0/
-Sec

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hello Zaros,

No need to repost. I moving your topic to the AII forum. As for the error message you are receiving, such messages often result with the removal of malware and sometimes some programs. The file is gone, but the registry key telling the computer to run it is still there. To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thank you very much, I had no idea forum wise, I just made my account on here, and I already got a response, I really appreciate that. I'll download it now and tell you what happens.

#5 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Okay, so I did a full scan, but the RunDLL isn't coming up anywhere. I searched through everything looking for anything matching that or C:\Users.. I can't find a match anywhere, and I can't figure out how to copy/paste it as a text. Help again please? (:

Edited by Zaros, 12 July 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

It's not RunDLL you're looking for. That is a legitimate file. What you need to find is this: fkpaekuf.dll

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

It worked perfectly, I finally found it after looking for about 10 minutes straight, lol. I wish it would've said the highlighted yellow files were probably the ones you want to delete, because my eyes just went straight over them when I was looking.. I'm dumb, I know. Lol. Thank you very much though, and because of your hospitality, I'll be coming back to this website for any future problems. Thanks again! =)

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Glad that problem is taken care of. Now, let's do another check to see if something may still be lurking.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.

Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, use Malwarebytes Chameleon and follow the onscreen instructions. The Chameleon folder can be accessed by opening the program folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).

Other Troubleshooting Tips:
As an aside,

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users