Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Greetings to all! I have been experiencing lag when I browse the internet or when playing online games. My computer is relatively new as I bought it about a year back. I have started experiencing lag about a few weeks ago here are my computer specs >>>>SPECS<<<<
I have already cleared infections from the am i infected section so guess im clean. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mod Edit: AII forum topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic459326.html/page__p__2751809#entry2751809 - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2012 - 02:53 PM.
Added link - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Doomsday,
Have you checked your virus protection?, What do you have? Also, Have you been defragmenting computer and cleaning up the hard drive?

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yes i have actually, i have avast internet security i did a scan a few days back and it found nothing. I use mydefrag for defragmenting and avg pc tuneup for cleaing up stuff

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Try removing/uninstalling...your "tuneup" application, followed by running the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#5 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

uh i have uninstalled the tuneup program and did the chkdsk /r did the scan on a restart. No logs or whatever thou.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi DoomsDayZz,

(FWIW): I noticed in post #4 in your malware topic that Malwarebytes Anti_Malware found instances of Trojan.Agent and numerous instances of Pup.Funshion but "No action was taken." If that was an oversite, you might want to run Malwarebytes again, update, full scan, and make sure that all entries you wish to delete are checked before clicking Remove.

How to view Check Disk log in Vista/Windows 7
  • In the search box type "Event" and click on "Event Viewer" in top column.
  • Click on "Windows Logs" -->"Application." Click the "Source" tab ( top, right) to alphabetize that column.
  • Arrow down to "Winlogon" and select the most recent Check Disk report.
  • Double click on it and select the "Copy" button. This will copy the report to the clipboard.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hello Artrooks, the pup.funshion is nothing but i deleted it anyway. I did another scan with spybot and its clean. No difference in performance thou.
For the check disk log, i didn't find any. Only some random ones that i dun understand lol.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Is the computer connected directly to the modem? Is there a router involved and if so is it wired to the router or a wireless connection?

If a wireless connection are there other computers that connect to the network, and if there are do they run slow?

#9 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hello, no i'm connected to the modem directly.
Did a speed test
Posted Image

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thank you for that information. That would rule out a router issue if you don't have a router.

#11 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

If you play game more offen then you should use CCleaner(Free)to clean it everyday .
Also, assume you have not got infected , I suggest you upgrade your ram at least to 8GB for 64Bit OS .

{BTW , next time don't set "Auto update" I always set it in "Check but let me install....!!" }

Edited by Wds 7, 15 July 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#12 DoomsDayZz

DoomsDayZz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yeah i do use ccleaner but nothings improving thou /:
don't think the 8 gigs would help as well. i tried using 2 piece of 4gb ram on this computer and it only gave slight or unnoticeable difference.
so i don't really know what to do right now heh.

Edited by DoomsDayZz, 17 July 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#13 Wds 7

Wds 7

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

It's been a year or so ...have you thought of reinstall the windows to start fresh again .... Best solution right now .IMO

#14 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Check the Virtual Memory (paging file delegation) in advanced system settings. To do this,

1)right click on "my computer"
2)click "properties"
3) then click on the "advanced system settings" button on the left pane.
4) Then click on the "advanced" tab at the top
5) click "settings" under performance.
6)Click the "advanced" tab again at the top of the new window that appears
7) click "change" under "virtual memory" (I attached a screen shot so you can verify that you are at the right place)

-Verify that "Automatically manage paging file size for all drive" is not checked off and that "custom size" under the window is checked off.

-Depending on how much RAM you have in the computer, will generate the "minimum allowed", "recommended", and "currently allocated" numbers.

-Set yours based on the numbers i have in mine. If the recommended is say 3000MB, set the initial size to 2700 and the max size to 3200. Set the two as before and after the recommended, so your computer can manage it accordingly between these two values if needed. My PC is recommended at 4606 MB. So i have my initial size set at 4300 MB, and i have my max size set at 4900MB.

After you set the two values,

1) click ok
2)Your computer will prompt you for reboot, click ok to reboot.

-When you computer boots up it will use these two new values to allocate data into virtual memory to allow for more data processing between the HDD and RAM.

NOTE: *Setting these values to low or two high can cause system instability*

*Please* Comment back if you have any questions. i tried to be as specific here as i could. This should allow you to definitely notice an increase in speed.

I also have other ways to increase system performance. This is step #1 for me.

Attached Files

#15 akaUriel

akaUriel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Make sure that your drivers for your NIC are up-to-date.
You could also try calling your ISP depending on the lag issues: if they are at a certain time of day, etc.

As far as gaming goes, you can try defragmenting your hard drive or updating your video card drivers.
Other than that, it's possible your Ethernet cable may be going bad or may need a new image installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users