Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Qoobox and ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Verl

Verl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

I found Qoobox and ComboFix on my pc. I didn't put them there, so what are they? I run MS Security Essentials which is working correctly.

After I deleted ComboFix (Qoobox wouldn't go) I was advised by another forum to download and instal ComboFix again then uninstall it. This, apparently, would remove Qoobox as well. So I followed instructions only to get the following error message: "This program might not have installed correctly." I tried a few times but without success. So then I was advised to download the CF Uninstall. Did that too, only then I got another error message which told me I had an incompatible OS, that CF only worked on XP and Vista.

So, now what do I do? Should I try to remove Qoobox using an alternative method or leave it alone? I'd really like some advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

I found Qoobox and ComboFix on my pc. I didn't put them there, so what are they?

Sorry I have to disagree with your assessment. You personally may not have put them there, but someone who has access to your system had to. Combofix is a well known...and excellent I might add...free utility that is widely used on these various help forums. It's presence means only that someone has used it on that system, evidently in an attempt to remove some sort of a malware issue (or perceived malware issue). Leaving the utility in the hands of an untrained user isn't a good idea but if you don't find the combofix.exe (executable file), then just leaving the qoobox folder causes no harm. Are you having some issues? How many other users in your household have access to that system?

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Qoobox is the results file created after a ComboFix scan -

You can try to open it and see if there is anything in the file, like a record of the scan -

#4 Verl

Verl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Can't open it because it says I need administrator's permission but I am the administrator and the only user - apart from my (reliable and knowledgeable) computer man who helps when I have a problem. Glad it's not a bug so if it isn't hurting my pc then I shall leave it where it is.

Thank you for the advice.

#5 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Can't open it because it says I need administrator's permission but I am the administrator and the only user - apart from my (reliable and knowledgeable) computer man who helps when I have a problem. Glad it's not a bug so if it isn't hurting my pc then I shall leave it where it is.

Thank you for the advice.

...then I'd suppose it was your "(reliable and knowledgeable) computer man who helps when I have a problem", that installed and used it. He should also know how to remove it then but, as you said, it isn't hurting anything to leave it where it is so, I'd consider it a "case closed", non-issue. Let us know if you have anything else that we might be able to help with. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users