Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail/Gmail keeps getting hacked (scans say I'm clean)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyJester

GrumpyJester

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Hey all, new to the forum :)

Summary of problem: my Hotmail and/or Gmail password keeps getting hacked even though basic anti-malware scanners say I'm clean.

Background: Couple of months ago my Hotmail and Gmail accounts were hacked. I scanned using half a dozen of different programs (PrevX, Spybot, Malwarebytes, etc.) but didn't find anything. As I was still using shared passwords at the time and my Hotmail and Gmail were linked to each other as security backup addresses, I figured one of them must have been leaked. I switched to unique passwords, cleaned out all the emails' security options and carefully declared myself 'safe' again.

Until this morning when my Hotmail/Gmail were hacked in the exact same fashion (the fake 'security email address' added was similar and they once again went after my World of Warcraft account). Scans once again show nothing, but an hour later after changing passwords there was still evidence of them having limited access.

Question: Is there any way to more thoroughly check my system? Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I run Windows Vista, 32-bit.

Edited by GrumpyJester, 12 July 2012 - 07:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users