Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop PC freezes randomly - Please help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Hi everyone, new to the site and looking for some professional help with my PC.

Here's my issue...

A couple months or so ago my desktop started freezing randomly, have to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button.
I've tried restoring to an earlier point but still have the problem.
Never receive a blue screen of any kind.
All drivers are updated.
After every feeze and reboot Event Viewer shows Type: Information, Source:nvata, Event ID: 2, Description: Device identified.
Data:
0000: 1b 00 0c 00 01 00 60 00 ......`.
0008: 00 00 00 00 02 00 de 40 ......@
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 06 00 54 00 de 10 ....T..
0030: 00 00 00 00 ....

I've run scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, no infections have been found.

I can provide you with any info you need and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Connor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Please define "randomly". Does it happen when you are doing anything specific, after a set period of time, does it happen every time the system is on, etc. Also, does the same thing happen in safe mode?

#3 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

The freezes vary depending on what the computer is doing, yes. It freezes the most, from what I've noticed, when my dad is using it..which is usually browsing through MSN news, pictures, and videos. For instance, it froze 5 times this morning on him between 7:10 and 8:40. It will occasionally freeze while the system is just sitting idling too, but not nearly as often as when being in use.

I don't think it starts freezing after a specific time period, just spontaneously.

It has froze at least 3 times everyday for the past month and a half.

I haven't checked how it runs in safe mode yet. I will do that asap.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Are you saying it only freezes when browsing? If so, let's try a different browser and see if it still happens (if you're using IE, try Firefox or Chrome or Opera for example).

#5 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

No, it freezes no matter what you're doing, even while it's not in use sometimes. I've just noticed it tends to happen more often while browsing the web.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Okay. Please let us know about safe mode.

#7 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I've been in safe mode for the past two hours doing things here and there, no freeze yet.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well, leave it overnight. If it seems okay in the morning it may very well be something loading with Windows. We can then try the method below to initiate a selective startup and try to identify the process causing the problem.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#9 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

So, after days of running in Safe Mode with no problems whatsoever, I thought I'd take your advice and try to seclude the problem to a specific service.

Upon booting with a selective startup there were only a couple services that started automatically.
Those being..

DCOM Server Process Launcher
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Everything was fine with just those 3 running, but as you know there wasn't much I could do.

To access the web I started these services (didn't know exactly which ones were needed to be running, so I pick an chose)

.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
DHCP Client
DNS Client
HTTP SSL
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Network Access Protection Agent
Net Logon
Network Connections

Shortly after using the web the comp froze..

I went back and started Event Log so I could look at event viewer; same old stuff was logged.

Do you have any input on this Allan?

Your help is very much appreciated, thank you.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

So we're back to my question from above about when this happens, and it seems that it's when you go online. In that case, please try a different browser from the one you are using and see if the same thing happens (if you are using IE, try Firefox or Opera or Chrome, etc).

#11 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Firefox is my default browser; I tried using IE and same problem..

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Well, we can check the hd and ram for errors, but at this point I'm just guessing:

1) Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

2) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#13 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've already ran chkdsk /f...should I still do /r ?

I have ran memtest as well, letting it run 10 hours through the night for best results.

Neither came back with any problems.

A day or two ago I went into services and disabled one or two of the networking services I had enabled. I was working online for at least a good hour today with no freezes or problems. When I get back on the system I will check to see which services I disabled and let you know how it's running.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yes, please run chkdsk /r

#15 ConnJohnn

ConnJohnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

chkdsk /r has finished running. Is there a log or something I need to look at to view details about it?

And the services that I disabled..system still running good with no freezing, although still running with minimal services enabled..

.NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
Network Access Protection Agent
HTTP SSL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users