Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Delete/remove It?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

I have been trying to delete/remove www.MailSkinner.com but w/o success.

Every time I go to Add/Remove a box comes up telling me "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be found."

When I click OK another box comes up telling me "Fatal Error During Installation."

I am a Beginner and would really appreciate your help in getting rid of this program.

Edited by jgweed, 07 March 2006 - 10:25 AM.

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried to reinstall the program, then uninstall.
Something from the original install may have been corrupted, and a reinstall might correct it, thereby allowing you to uninstall it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

[b]Thanks, tq1911.....I did try to do that very thing but again, a little box came up saying "Another Version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To remove existing version of this product use Add/Remove programs on the Control Panel."

I keep going back & forth between a rock & a hard place & nothing seems to work!
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Maybe you could try removing it via Add/Remove, while in safe mode...
Posted Image

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hmmm....MailSkinner is related to the nasty Navipromo, and would mosty likely come with a dialer or so. I think it would be wise for you to post a HijackThis log for an expert to review. I got the MailSkinner installed onto a spare machine and found that some of the files that came with it were infecetd as follows:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Found not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.NaviPromo.k
NOD32
Found Win32/Adware.NaviPromo application
Norman Virus Control
Found W32/NaviPromo.BZ

I recommend you follow the HijackThis preparation guide which can be found here. It is important that you follow the guide closely. A number of scans will be run which may well fix your problem.

As the guide says, after you have completed the scans that are recommended, please post your "HijackThis" log in a new topic in the forum found here. Please add your system infomation and also what problems you are having. Please be patient, and a HJT team member will help you to clean up your system.

The main reason i am asking you to do this is because i believe that these things never come alone and you could have more on your system than you percieve at the moment.

Good Luck,
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 06 March 2006 - 02:27 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

David is on right on target. Mailskinner can be difficult to remove as it uses windows hooks and installs a Kernel Hidden Proccess. A Hijackthis log will show the related entries that will make removal possible when combined with Killbox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

Scarlett, D-Trojanator and quietman7.....

Scarlett, I tried your suggestion & it did not work. An Add or Remove Programs box came up telling me "The Windows Instaaller Ser ice could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in the safe mode."

David, As a Beginner I am not smart enough to follow all the directions that came with your suggestion. I have never even heard of some of the terms used (Hijack This Log for instance.) This computer language is like learning Latin to me...LOL

quiteman7, thank you for answering

Posted Image

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hijackthis is an advanced tool that is used to help identify locations where malware is known to reside. If you follow the directions provided by David you can easily create a log to post in the HJT forum for further assistance. Don't worry, the HJT Team will walk you through further instructions and assist every step of the way. Just listen to what they tell you to do and you will be fine.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

I echo what quietman7 has said. Sorry if i talked a bit too much technical jargon, but as quietman7 said it will all become apparent a bit later on after following the links i gave.
David

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:28 PM

One thing you may try which will be easier for you to do is to use a System Restore point from before you tried to install the malware program.

Go to start, then select "help" and click the index tab and type System Restore. It will give you complete directions about how to use it.

#11 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:50 AM

quiteman7, D-Trojanator and Enthusiast.....I would like to thank all 3 of you for your help, explanations and suggestions.
Posted Image

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

Did system restore resolve your issues?

If it did - great!

If it did not, do not give up.

Keep posting until we get the issue resolved.

#13 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

Enthusiast.....Thank you for the suggestion on using System Restore but to be honest with you I can't remember when I D/L and installed MailSkinner. I guess its an "Old Man" thing but I just don't ever remember doing it and I know for sure that I have never used it! It was great suggestion though and I do appreciate your help.
Posted Image

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

Use the oldest restore point you have then.

If it doesn't fix the problem then the methods shown in the Hijack This tutorial will work, but you have to print it out and take it one step at a time.

Let us know.

#15 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Enthusiast.....Thanks again for all your help
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users