Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

edit host file safe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 puffnbilly

puffnbilly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Hi i frequent a forum that seems to have DNS issues?, they sent me this in order to log on to it, not sure why they cannot fix it. My question is? is it safe for me to do so, put this in host file?, will anyone be able to hack me or do anything thanks. Just not sure why i have to go to such extent to log back onto their forum?.

copy C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts to your desktop
edit the copy, and add

203.88.XXX.xX myXXXXX.net www.myXXXXX.net edited for privacy..

save it, and copy the file back to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

open start and in the search type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

then edit the copy, and add

203.88.XXX.33 XXXX.net www.XXXX.net <--add that in the file use wordpad to open it once your done that click save and it should allow you to type www.XXXX.net into the website and connect :)

Edited by puffnbilly, 12 July 2012 - 01:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hi i frequent a forum that seems to have DNS issues?,

If you trust the forum, and the advice they offer. then procede -
Not much else to add ...........

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

The site owner cannot fix DNS issues. They do not have command and control of DNS servers. This is the workaround for them.

Without knowing the site, all they are doing is adding their IP and URL as accepted in your hosts file. As noknojon says, if you trust them, proceed. If you're not sure, then don't.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 puffnbilly

puffnbilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

well lets say i didnt for sake of it? what can people do?, that they wouldn't be normally able to if it was fixed?, trust not to sure.

Edited by puffnbilly, 17 July 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

Simply put:

1] The DNS service you use to convert the things you type on the address bar into actual IP numbers is not linking your request to the site you want to go. This is highly unlikely, the administration just could give you the correct IP, without you having to connect to your DNS server in the first place. Or,

2] You are unwanted / tricked by the site's administration, and they are trying you to redirect yourself permanently to another site.

Public websites' IP's are not a secret so you can publish them without fear, and asking questions we all can understand correctly wouldn't hurt either.

\0/
-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users