Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stuck at "Shutting Down" for 8 hours now.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 armygreen

armygreen

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

My wife's laptop has been "Shutting Down" for about 8 hours now. Before that, it spend 17 hours stuck at installing update 2 of 7. I just checked on it every hour or so, and finally when I checked on it after 17 hours, I saw that it was now shutting down. I was happy because I thought that was the end of the problem, but now it's stuck at "shutting down." The laptop is only 1 year old and I take pretty good care of my computers. I've never seen this problem before and was hoping for some help in resolving it.

Just thought I should also mention that just prior to shutting down, I had my external hard drive connected. It was giving me issues. Some of my folders, when I tried to open them, would say that the disk is write protected. When I looked at the properties for those folders, which definitely had files in them, it said that the size of the folder was 0 megabytes. I closed all windows for the external hard drive and tried to eject the hard drive. I got an error message saying that I needed to close all applications being used by the external hard drive. I couldn't find any applications being used by it, so I just decided to shut down. That's when the computer decided to install these updates. I don't ever remember downloading any windows updates. I usually restart my computer immediately after downloading updates. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by armygreen, 11 July 2012 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Windows update sometime is very scary to use. You never know if it can complete 100% or not. A very slow process to complete.

Did you restore your system setting at the early stage ?
(Just remind you that the system restore will also have a chance to stuck the windows process again.)

#3 armygreen

armygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I haven't restored my laptop yet. It's still stuck at "shutting down." It's been stuck that way for 22 hours now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Power the system down...shutdown problems are a basic part of every version of Windows :).

Take a look at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/hu/w7itproperf/thread/ad0e7fd6-bf15-4540-ac64-1b6f28d931aa .

Louis

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Something like that happens every few weeks on my laptop with Windows Vista. The Shutting Down message with the rotating cursor appears and never changes. I wait at least 4 minutes, just in case Shutting down actually does occur; and if it does not occur, then I cut all power to the computer: unplug and remove battery(if the battery is in). I then wait a few hours OR press and hold the power button for a minute also with no source of electric power, before doing a fresh start. It seems, as long as the "Shutting Down" appears with its rotating cursor and continues for a few minutes that way, then Windows may have actually shut but the display just gets stuck. No problems so far using this method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users