Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not sleep.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I recently built a new rig and have this weird problem.

Whenever i try to sleep the com, then resume it from sleep 10minutes later, it seems to work. But let's say i let it sleep for 3hours or more - it starts up as if i did not shut it down properly - it displays the "start windows normally" and other associated options.

FYI i disabled the hibernate option as i am using a SSD for boot (not sure if it affects the sleep function though).

What could be the problem?

below are my specs :

i5 2500k
gigabyte z77-d3h on F14 Bios (latest)
gigabyte gtx560ti
4x4gb ddr3
128gb M4 SSD + 160gb hdd + 320gb HDD
620W Seasonic PSU
Win 7 ultimate x64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

help anyone?

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

While waiting for some solid advice, please check this link and scroll down to Troubleshooting Windows 7 Sleep and Hibernate Topics.

Tekken

#4 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

i've read the entire piece but got no extra clue on how to resolve this. i need some help :(

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

I am not a fan of sleep or hibernate functions, especially with desktop computers. Usually I would just turn off the monitor, but with laptops as they run on batteries from time to time and being portable is an improved feature on recent laptop models.

Tekken

#6 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

there's new development.

now i notice that when i sleep the computer and turn it back on (doesn't matter after how long), the computer runs for 2 seconds and then switches off by itself. after around 5 seconds, it reboots itself and presents itself as shutdown abnormally.

what could be the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users