Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't acess win2k machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 speckulator

speckulator

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:07 PM

Hi guys, Let me start by saying when it comes to networking, I am alot like Sergeant Shultz: I KNOW NOTHING! I KNOW NOTHING!

My original PC is an Older no name brand PC that is an Athlon 750 running Win2K. It's IP address is 192.168.1.103. USB Wireless.

I now have a celeron laptop that is running XP Home and it's IP addy is 192.168.1.101 Laptop card wireless.

I have a Dell 8400 Desktop 3Ghz Runing XP Pro and it's IP Addy is 192.168.1.104 Wired directly to the router.

All equiptment is Linksys wireless-G. I don't know if these IP addys are always the same or change when I shut them all down.

I was until recently using the Win2k machine for all the main work and the laptop just for surfing. Not even sharing a printer. I have added the Dell 8400 and began to setup a network. I moved the printer to the new dell and got all the PC's to print on it. I am able to access shared drives on on the new Dell and the Laptop both running XP. Everytime I try to acess the Old Win2K Machine from the new Dell XP machine I get the Following error message:
\\Main-pc is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have acess permission.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
If I try to access it from the laptop it asks for a user name and password then gives me the same error message.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to fix it. I need to be able to copy all my files to the new machine. Also should I consider upgrading the win2k machine to XP? I don't know if the machine is worth it but am not ready to replace it just yet. It will be used mainly for the little ones to type a school paper, surf and IM.
Call me clueless Thanks
Speck

Also if you can point me a good tutorial or book it would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:45 PM

Loved that tv show :thumbsup: Hogans Heros right?

First make sure all the worksgroups are set the same. On the Windows 2k machine you need to add the usernames you are using on the laptop and with the same password or no password.

Once you do that lets see if its working

#3 speckulator

speckulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the reply Grinler, I checked and made sure I have all the user names exactly the same and with no password. Nothing has changed. It doesn't ask for a user name and password and gives the permission error from the other desktop and from the laptop it asks for the user name and password and appears to handle that, then goes on to the same permission error message.

Thanks
Speck

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:15 PM

On the win2k machine go into the administrative tools and click on local security policy. Then Click under local policies, on user rights assignemtns.

Look for log on locally and double click on it

Put a checkmark next to those user names that you are trying to log on as and see if that fixes the problem

#5 speckulator

speckulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:11 PM

I went to it and it had the classes of user names but the user names were not there so I added them. It did not help at all. Everything is exactly the same. Any more ideas? I rebooted all the machines after doing it.

Thanks
Speck

Edited by speckulator, 12 November 2004 - 05:12 PM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

Go into the same area and add those usernames to the access this computer from the network rule

#7 speckulator

speckulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

:thumbsup: Grinler You are THE MAN Bud! I think that did it.
Thank You very much!

Speck

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

Woohoo :thumbsup: Glad it worked out

0 user(s) are reading this topic