Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Machine, No System Disks, What Happens If My Hard Drive Crashes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmongeon

dmongeon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has a solution to the no windows 7 system disk issue. I bought a laptop (first one - I always use to build my own desktops)and it didn't come with windows disks. It has one physical disk partisioned into 4 sections: c drive (labeled Local Disk), D drive (labeled Recovery), E drive (labeled HP_TOOLS), and one hidden partision. Hp had me create system restore disks (but they only allow one copy! I guess if one of those disks are bad I'm out of luck). I just can't help thinking that if the hard drive fails I might have problems installing win7 on a new drive.

I am faily computer literate; I work with networked computers (full motion flight simulators). The problem is my experience is with xp, win 2k, and linux. If I had the disks I know I could take care of it.

Has anyone figured out a work-around for this situation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hello dmongeon,

So far you can restore your system from the recovery DVDs that you made and as well as the hidden partition on the hard drive.

Next, I would create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc; see here and then create a windows 7 system image and store it on an external hard drive; see how-to.

I would periodically create additional full system images and more regularly, backup important files, photos, music, etc., also to an external drive.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 dmongeon

dmongeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for your help Artrooks! :thumbsup:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

They only allow one copy made from the RECOVERY partition.

There is a way to make another set of disks-COPY the disks you made in order to create a second set.

That way you will have a backup if the first set gets lost, scratched, or broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users