Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavilion won't input to monitor.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krillanr

krillanr

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

We just bought a Hp Pavilion p6-2133w, we hooked it up to a sony monitor, we had to hook them up with a adapter that takes the dvi-d from the computer and adapts it to vga for the monitor. The problem is the monitor doesn't act like it is reading the signal. Assistance would be greatly appreciated so I can get my grandad online again.

Edited by krillanr, 11 July 2012 - 02:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

If it's an older monitor on a newer computer, the computer may be outputting video not compatible with an older monitor. Try hooking it up to a new monitor so you can see, go into control panel, click display, click change resolution, change the video settings to output to 800x600, and try hooking it back up to the old monitor.

I've seen this happen in a video-teleconference facility where users are hooking up new laptops outputting at 1600, when the displays can only handle up to 1280.

Edited by ShadyD, 11 July 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#3 krillanr

krillanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thank ya ShadyD, I'm afraid we don't have a usable monitor but we will go buy a new monitor to fit the new computer, thank ya sir.

#4 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Is the old monitor a CRT or a flatscreen? If its a flatscreen, maybe you just have a bad dvi to vga converter (just before you blow the money on a new monitor). Also, technically, if it's a straight DVI-D to VGA connection, it probably won't work with an older analog monitor. DVI-D means digital. An older analog monitor won't work, and then yeah, you'll have to get a new monitor. Sometimes the card will be spit out analog as well, and you can use a DVI-A to VGA, but not always.

If it's an old CRT, a new flatscreen with a DVI connector will do you good.

That was a terrible explination I just realized. Short answer, a new monitor is more expensive but your best bet.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

You said

with a adapter that takes the dvi-d from the computer and adapts it to vga for the monitor

If it truly is a DVI-D then that is a digital only, and VGA is analog only.
I see from the specs that it has two DVI-D and no analog capability.

On this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
you can see the DVI connector with the four pins, two above and two below the flat bar. Those pins are what carry the VGA signal. If the video out does not have them The a DVI to VGA can not work.

You will either have to put a PCI express video card in or use a monitor that has a digital DVI input.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 July 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 krillanr

krillanr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

It is a flatscreen, but we went ahead and bought a new monitor, now I'm having another issue, but it is posted so unless yall want me to give a link in this topic I reckon I'm good and Thank you very much for your help. Tech may be my obsession, but it sure is a pain when ya don't know what the problem is. By the way if you want to see the other problem just check out my I/O Error Topic. Thanks yall from me and my grandad (who owns the computer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users