Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

master/slave

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ok, so I am upgrading my MIL's desktop. I will be putting the WD hdd and the lite-on dvd drive in the same ide connection. What are your opinions as to which should be on middle connection vs end of cable position. Is it better to have the drives jumpered as master/slave or cable select position?

Previous MSI mobo had 2 ide connections, and this one has only 1, hence the cable sharing.

Thanks for the advice.

Michael

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2012 - 08:08 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

You can override the CS settings by jumpering the hard drive as master and the lite-on set to slave. Then it doesn't matter which connector you use.

That makes it easier to put the optical on the end and the hard drive in the middle if need be.

And some of the newer motherboards have zero IDE connections.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 July 2012 - 02:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I had to make sure I got one with IDE as my first choice did not. I am just looking for what is optimal setting, to ease boot=up as it is for mil, and goes back to her house once rebuilt. I am waiting for new power supply as the mobo recommended 400+ and current ps is 300. Delivery tomorrow, the ready to connect stuff. Don't need fancy, as not heavy use pc.

Thanks.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users