Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD ROM Not Opening

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cazshie

cazshie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm thinking this might be a software glitch rather than failed hardware.

DVD Drive has been working fine until the last few days when I've been looking into burning an ISO file to a Double Layer DVD.

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 PC with a Philips DVD8701 fitted.

I have recently installed some software to allow me to download ISO files and it seems during this process that my DVD Rom has stopped opening up.

One of the bits of software I installed was imgburn and I changed some of the settings with this ready for a dual layer burn but the software locked up and I had to shut down the PC.

Did a restore back a few days but hasn't helped.

Can anyone help? What's my next step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

I would uninstall Imgburn...reinstalling it later...and then visit MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

It's possible that your efforts damaged the optical drive...I've never seen software problems affect the ability to open the tray.

I'd probably disconnect the motherboard and PSu connections to the drive...take a pin and see if I can mechanically open it from the front...and then reconnect it properly.

Louis

#3 cazshie

cazshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

When I first power up the green light on the front flickers but then goes off again. To be honest I've never noticed if the green light ever stays on. I know it comes on when I open/close with the button, and flickers when reading a disk.

I've tried uninstalling and powering back up. The PC recognises it and installs it but it still wont open.

It just seems really strange that it's read CD's no problem but the time that I start installing software to allow me to burn a dual layer DVD it stops working. I suppose it could be co-incidence but just seems strange.

Anything else I could be trying?

I'd be worried I bought a new optical drive and discovered that the issue was still there.

Could it be a firmware issue with the hardware?

Edited by cazshie, 11 July 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I can't say...other than to report that any troubles I've had opening an optical drive's tray...refleccted a problem with the hardware, not Windows or software.

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

As Louis says.
Going beyond that I only use Imgburn for burning discs. CD, DVD or BluRay on 4 different computers.
Failure to open with the front button is a quite common failure mode on drives.

From Dell
http://support.us.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P90576/en/index.htm

Emergency Eject

This drive has a function that allows the disc to be ejected manually if this becomes necessary in an emergency such as failure of the drive or a power outage (graphic used for illustrative purposes only).

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 July 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 cazshie

cazshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

I was putting the PC back under the table (after working on it) and it caught one of the legs with a thump. The CD drawer popped open and it now seems to be working okay. Also burnt a dvd disc which worked fine.

I thought it was just my grandad that used to thump electrical equipment to get it working!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Well...that may have worked this time...but a drive which doesn't open properly is bound to be a problem in the future, IMO.

Louis

#8 cazshie

cazshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well...that may have worked this time...but a drive which doesn't open properly is bound to be a problem in the future, IMO.

Louis

Totally agree.

Glad it's started working again, but I'm going to be pricing up a replacement this weekend.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi -
In some "older" XP units, the opening of the tray is just due to the age of the machine.
There is usually a small hole at the front to insert something like a paper clip, and this will dislodge/help open the tray.

Mine has had this "minor" problem for a year or so, but the issue has never caused a problem with its operation once opened -

Regards -

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have a few stuck drives in my travels where some physical persuasion is necessary for them to open up. They use grease on the rails of the laser and the door. Eventually the rails and teeth dry up. Needs a lube most likely.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users