Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On the board video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lechatboote

lechatboote

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

My computer is about 6 yrs old running Windows xp. Had been running ok, a few minor glitches. I recently moved most of the items from it's hard drive onto a new computer. Then I moved the computer into another room. Now when the computer boots, the video does not engage and I get the screen message no video connection found. This is an HP computer and until this happened the video was loading fine. I replaced the audio on the board 3 yrs ago by purchasing an audio card to override the built in. I was not given any warning about impending failure. Not sure if I should invest in a card to be able to access the computer or not. I need to de-authorize the computer for an iTunes account otherwise I would just pull the hard drive and wipe it. My new computer is running Windows 7 and I'm not sure transferring the old drive into the new one would be a wise choice. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Do you need to use the old machine simply to de-authorize iTunes? I would see if they can do this for you through their help desk online. If you still need files from your old machine, you can put the drive on your new computer as a slave. You could even buy an external connection kit for the drive (converts IDE or SATA to USB) so you don't have to worry about installing it internally in your new machine.

If you don't plan on using the old machine anymore, I wouldn't worry about replacing the video. If you did want to use it again, you can pick up an inexpensive card. You might want to test with another card first (if someone you know has a spare) just to make sure that it's the video that's dead. Are there any indicators that the machine is actually going through Post and that you just can't get video? A lot of motherboards have some kind of light or sound indicators of trouble just in case.

#3 lechatboote

lechatboote
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Unfortunately you need to de-authorize the machine from the machine that is registered. I know I could move the hard drive, but I'm concerned about conflicts between the two different operating systems. I have an external hard drive box and have done that frequently. This is what I was trying to avoid. I probably will just buy a cheap video card since that would be the easiest way to go. Less moving and taking apart. I know the machine is loading, hard drive does boot I can hear everything I just have no video. I was sincerely hoping to find a way out of all the nonsense but I fear it will be as I expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users