Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway LT20 netbook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi,
I got this gateway netbook 3 years ago. The power connection had to be fixed 3 times during warranty. It has been working fine, until I got a "bot disk not found error. Setup could not see the hard drive. I attached the hard drive to an external usb EZdock. It could not see it. I put another hard drive into the gateway and now I dont even get a screen flash. It just fires up for 10 seconds I hear the fan then the fan stops and get nothing but the power button light on. Nothing on the screen.
Could this be a power supply issue in addition to the hard drive. It doesnt even seem to get to the hard drive before it stops.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi Jan,

Could this be a power supply issue in addition to the hard drive.

The fact that the power light remains on would lead me to believe that the netbook is receiving power.

A few things you might try:

• Test the newer hard drive using the external usb EZdock to verify that it is working. If the second drive is also bad, then that could be the problem.
  • Some laptop drives have an adapter that plugs into the power/data end of the drive. If that adaptor wasn't plugged into the newer drive, it wouldn't make proper contact in the drive bay. The adaptor would have been on the old drive when it was removed; however, i'm not sure that netbook drives use these.
  • Remove the AC cord, the netbook battery, then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Plug in the AC cord and try to restart.
  • Test the AC Adaptor for output using a Voltmeter. If you can't, maybe a friend can help.
  • Test for a loose AC power jack by gently pushing on and moving, side/side, the power cord where it plugs into the netbook while attempting to power on.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for the tips. The hard drive was bad. I have another hard drive from a mac notebook. How do I setup this with no cd?
I see I can buy a restore disk from gateway for $20 but It has no cd on this netbook.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hello Jan,

You will need installation media so the Gateway recovery disk will be required as will a functioning hard drive.

1.) I would first make sure that the Mac drive works and that it fits into the Gateway netbook.
2.) I would then verify that the drive is recognized in BIOS:
  • To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during the POST; while the notebook PC logo is being displayed.
  • To check the boot sequence in the BIOS utility, select Boot from the categories listed at the top of the screen and make sure that the new drive is listed.
I am presently installing Windows XP Home Edition - SP2 on an MSI Wind netbook using the steps below. While I am using a Win XP installation disk, I don't see why it wouldn't also work with a recovery disk that may contain large image files.

What you will do in the steps to follow is to create an Iso file from the Gateway recovery disk, install the recovery Iso file to a USB flash drive (4 GB size drive should suffice) using a program called rufus, and then boot the netbook with the flash drive to start the installation.

3.) Create an Iso file from the recovery disk:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Place recovery disk into DVDROM drive.
  • Select "Create image file from disk" then "Source" should show your DVDROM drive.
  • Under Destination, click the folder icon Posted Image to the right and select a memorable location to save the "iso" file (suggestion: Desktop) as well as a memorable name (suggestion: recovery.iso).
  • Click on this icon Posted Image to start the iso creation.

4.) Download rufus from here.
  • Insert the USB flash drive into the computer, then double click on rufus_vx.x..exe to start the program.
  • Under Device, make sure that the correct drive letter is chosen for your flash drive.
  • Click on the Posted Image icon (bottom right) and navigate to the recovery.iso file, click on it and select Open.
  • Click Start to create the bootable flash drive. Exit the program when it reports Done.

5.) Insert the flash drive into the ailing computer. Start the computer and watch the screen for an F key to press for a Boot Menu or set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive first, then restart the computer. (For how to set USB drive to boot first, go here).

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

thanks for the detaled instructions...
I will order the CDs and let you know...

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

We'll be waiting. :)

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users