Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Hot should a Laptop run?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Tried posting this in an old old topic of mine, no takers, probably better off as its own thread I'm guessing.

Any idea how hot a laptop should run? My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5551-4200 with AMD Turion II X2 Processor p520 (2.3GHz) if that helps. I just downloaded and installed CUPID HW Monitor and I've attached an image to show what it says. Not sure if these are good temps or what any of this means. This is in a home that is currently 78 degrees if that matters as well.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

It's definately warm, but not overly hot I would think. Laptops usually run a bit hotter than desktops because they don't vent as well unless they are on a hard surface (and even then most run pretty hot). To give you a good comparison, the video card on my desktop machine, which has 4 huge cooling fans, runs about 60 degrees celcius during a stress test.

Its always harder to tell with laptops because the venting is so much different. Is the machine thinking a lot? What do you have the laptop sitting on? If the machine is sitting idle, 55 degrees celcius is pretty warm, but it may just be that model of laptop. My desktop machine sits around 35 or 40 degrees celcius when its idle, but I have a lot of cooling in that machine.

Try sitting the machien up on a book or something without blocking any of the vents so there is about 2 inches of room beneath it. See what it runs at when it's sat idle for 30 minutes or so.

You can look at getting a laptop cooling pad on Newegg or amazon. They put a bunch of fans under the laptop to help cool it. I have seen Acers run hot before, so it wouldn't surprise me if this machine just doesn't have very good cooling.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Those temperatures are fine and it shouldn't be a issue. Also note, the AMD Turion II X2 generally runs pretty warm. There is a lot of "cheap" and ineffective laptop pad cooler on the market but there a few good ones and that are practical like thisone. What makes the NotePal U3 unique is the movable fans which will allow you to position the fans in certain sections of your laptop like the CPU area, hard drive bay and memory area which are the 3 hottest section.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users