Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnicklas

johnnicklas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

When I booted my computer and logged into my admin account, a message appeared for an instant. It looked like it said it was creating a new user account, but it flashed by so quickly I could not tell.Login continued, but when the account opened, it was suddenly blank and generic. None of my files are there. All of my programs are accounted for, however, and the guest account I have is fine, everything is presnt there. Only the admin account is affected. The event log showed me the following error when I shut the computer down the previous night:

"Windows saved user JOHN/JWN registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use."

So I am ssuming this is the problem that created the blank admin account. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

What user accounts are currently reflected at Control Panel/User Accounts/User Accounts?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

FWIW: Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#3 johnnicklas

johnnicklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, Louis. I downloaded the Hive and ran it, but nothing appeared to happen.

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment\USERPROFILE I have C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP>, which I believe is wrong as it should be indicating my user profile (JWN) instead. Can I edit this and, if so, how should it read?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

I don't have such a key...but I'm not using a temporary profile.

FWIW: You asserted this is a registry problem, I don't look at it that way. It's a profile problem and I've posted data on the typical way to handle such, using the MS guidance. Beyond that, I really can't offer any advice/suggestions.

Louis

#5 johnnicklas

johnnicklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks. I believe the temp file may have been created because of a corrupted registry. I can open the registry and change the name to point to the correct user account, but I don't know how it should be written. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users