Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black randomly and returns

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt14

Kurt14

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi, last time my monitor had this behaviour was 1 month ago (around that). It keeps randomly going somehow black and returning, in this black period, I can move my mouse, keyboard etc.. I changed my resolution. Is it problem in my monitor, is it getting old? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

please help me :S

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

I had this problem not too long ago. I updated my video driver and it corrected the problem.

#4 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

How to update the driver? Sorry for this stupid question :S

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Don't "update"...uninstall the current driver and then reinstall it, it's probably damaged.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Display Adapters, double-click.

Double-click detail item now displayed...click Driver tab, click Uninstall button.

Reinstall the video drivers from your Drivers CD...or website of the system manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Could also be the physical monitor. the great capacitor plague :o

Easiest way to tell is by swapping monitors with another system for awhile.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 13 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 ukbobboy

ukbobboy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

Hi Kurt 14

I had the same problem, i.e. my monitor randomly going black, a few years ago with a previous PC. I concluded that my video card was dying and that it was time to change it.

But first, I had to work out what was killing off my video card. I concluded, with the help of another forum, that the problem was caused by small irregularities in my electricity current, not enough to cause any real problems with my other electrical equipment but enough to slowly kill off the video card.

So I bought a new video card, same make but next model up (changing the 64MB card the PC came with to an 128MB one) and I did not have to install any new drivers, I also bought an eight socket electricity extension with a built in filter.

And since then I have not had any problems with my previous PC or the one I have now.

UK Bob

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

So I bought a new video card, same make but next model up (changing the 64MB card the PC came with to an 128MB one) and I did not have to install any new drivers, I also bought an eight socket electricity extension with a built in filter.

And since then I have not had any problems with my previous PC or the one I have now.

UK Bob

Please do make sure to follow up on the guidelines posted by hamluis in post #5.
It only takes a minute and WILL save you troubles later :)

\0/
-Sec

#9 Kurt14

Kurt14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hamluis, I have a French windows XP Version, I have a tab called 'Graphic cards' and under it there was 'Intel Q33 Chipset Express Family' - Is that the one I should uninstall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users