Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Extremely Slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 krazychick214

krazychick214

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:08 AM

Hi,

I have windows xp. I restarted my computer and when it came back on it took nearly an hour to finish loading up, when usually it takes about five minutes. I tried to run my antivirus and spyware and it took each program an extremely long time to load, and then the antivirus would not scan. I booted into safe mode with networking and ran my spyware and it said that my system was clean. Then I ran the trendmicro housecall virus scanner (because my antivirus software would not work in the safe mode) and it also said my computer was clean. I rebooted into regular mode and the computer is still slow, slow, slow. I ran checkdisk and it did not come up with anything. Also, I just ran disk defragment yesterday. I am not sure at this point what else to do, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Laurel

Edited by krazychick214, 06 March 2006 - 01:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:40 AM

Hard drive diagnostic tools

First I'd run you hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool on the hdd as it could be failing, if your not sure who made your hdd Seagates Seatools will work on any drive as there's a generic test.

Have you updated any drivers recently?

If the hdd test says the drive is fine I'd submit a a hijackthis log to the HJT Forum.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users