Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 pro vs xp mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hi forum,

I have brand B anti-virus software (AV) in my Win 7 professional OS.
I also installed xp mode and have a brand A AV in it.

One day, I was browsing with ie and brand B AV blocked a link which was harmful. Then, I curious and copied this link to xp mode’s ie and see what would react about the brand A AV. What a surprise! The brand B AV from Win 7 pro junped over to the xp mode and blocked that link. No response from brand A AV instead.

Is it normal ? Are 2 OS completely separated ? If so, should I need to install AV in the xp mode ?

Please advice and thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Yes this is quite normal, as your XP mode runs in a Virtual Machine.
All out- & inbound traffic/data goes through Win7 first, so that AV would be the first to detect trouble. :thumbup2:

As the XP-mode AV does not scan outside the VM, it can't hurt or conflict with your main AV solution, I would let it be.
Especially when regularly using password-protected, encrypted and/or compressed files and such...

\0/
-Sec

#3 cuhkwan

cuhkwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Thanks.

It is hard to find the detail infomation about the xp mode. I am glad to have your advice.

So, in my case, I have no way to check how powerful of the brand A AV does unless I have to install it in a real OS, right ?

#4 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

You're very welcome! :)

To answer your "strength" test-question:
Well.., no.., but in fact, some people make a living off testing such things for you. Also, I sincerely hope you are not receiving too much malware samples to test that thoroughly in the first place :P
In short, there is no "best" AV, especially for end-users, only 'sufficient' and 'totally useless'. (lol, sorry)

To aid you in your quest for the most fitting AV solution for your needs:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is widely known for it's clear and easy to interpret tests.
Also, you could spend some time on VirusTotal.com to see with your own eyes what scanner A finds compared to scanner B.

It's very wise of you to have a second opinion available though! (Although the one in VM = XP mode, cannot be relied upon to scan your Win7!)
Active AV can be successfully operated alongside on-demand Anti-Malware solutions like MBAM for example, and will not conflict as long as you keep the active protection module from MBAM disabled.

I personally also like to use LiveCD's once in a while, but I'm paranoid, I have to admit. See Kaspersky Rescue CD and F-Secure Rescue CD on Google for more info on those ways of scanning, they're free (well, apart from a CD-R) as well.

Happy 'puting!

\0/
-Sec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users