Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking failed: error message at BOOT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Manis1993

Manis1993

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Dear Everyone,

I had the following problem with my computer today: first off, it froze after Windows loaded. Then when I tried to restart it (by resetting), nothing happened. The computer was on, I could hear the internal hardware working, but the external devices (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.) were not working at all. The NumLock/CapsLock/ScrollLock lights didn't even flash on the keyboard when I rebooted. I turned the computer off, even the power source, and then tried to start it again. Same problem. I waited for some time, but nothing happened.

Then I turned it off again, waited approx. 5 minutes, turned it back on, and voila things was going just fine, but I received an error message during boot: "Overclocking failed. Press F1 to enter SETUP. Press F2 to load default settings and move on." I pressed F2, and now I'm writing this message here. As far as I know overclocking has something to do with the CPU.

The interesting thing is that nothing happened before that would indicate that something was wrong with my computer. It has not been slower lately or anything. Then overnight, while it was off, something happened to it? I don't know if and when this problem will happen again. And I most certainly don't know why it happened.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Thank you!

My system specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5B Premium
CPU: Intel Core2 6420 @ 2.13GHz
VGA: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (512 MB)
Memory: 2GB DDRx RAM (x = don't know exactly)
HDD: SAMSUNG HD200HJ and HD300LD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

To keep it simple:

If you haven't entered the BIOS menu (by tapping F1 during first part of booting) yourself before this problem occurred,
chances are, you opened an ASUS control menu within Windows, and altered some settings.
This could also have happened through the ATI control catalyst program (or something alike, look for Asus and Ati).
Usually, manufacturers give these settings really fancy names, like "boost", "cruise" or "turbo" for example.

In some cases, it's even possible you entered the settings menu in a game for example, and this in turn has altered some settings in the software provided with your system.

Solution:
  • None needed, your Asus MoBo detected faulty / dangerous settings during boot, and has reset itself to the default settings, probably during the boot you had no lights on your keyboard. The next boot, it asked for "confirmation" from you, and as you pressed F2, all the default settings have been restored again, twice.
  • During POST (saying "checking memory -> detecting drives, etc, or when displaying a huge 16-color Asus screen), press F1 and check all settings manually. I'm not sure if you'll understand much of the settings within the menu, so remember, "When in doubt, leave it alone"
  • If your in the possession of the driver discs of both the Asus Mobo and the Ati Video Card (AND ONLY THEN!), you could try to uninstall the control centers of your Asus package as well as the Ati graphical card. They are not needed for the OS to work, they are just there to give you the possibility to alter some hard- and software settings, and to mess things up of course :P Again, when in doubt, do not do this at all. *** DO NOT un-install the DRIVERS though !!!, just the control centers. ***

Side notes:
  • I had this exact same issue once on a nVidea GPU after an automatic driver update, it also fixed itself after a second boot.
  • OC (OverClocking) can relate to a CPU, RAM, FSB, the GPU and can be done in multiple ways, but is generally not advised for a couple of reasons. In short, the small advantages (20% higher Fps)of a serious OC will result in an instant and definitive loss of warranty, and generally, will shorten the lifespan of the whole system substantially.

So, nothing to worry about ;)

\0/
-Sec

#3 Manis1993

Manis1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Thank you for your detailed answer!

I'm still not sure what caused it, though. But it doesn't matter now then. :) I didn't even launch any programs controlling the video card settings (such as Catalyst). However, I've been playing GTA IV lately, which uses my hardware quite intensively, maybe that changed something? It has shown some weird behavior that it never did before. While in the middle of a game, the screen became black, but only for the fraction of a second. Kind of like when you change resolution in Windows. Maybe it was altering some settings then? I don't know. Seems like the only possible explanation, because I haven't changed my GPU's settings (neither in Windows, nor in the BIOS) lately. Thank you again for the reply! ;)

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi there,

You should check to see if you have the latest GTA 4 patch installed on your PC.

Also, try deleting the "settings.cfg" file from the GTA 4 Users folder, restarting the game and configuring the Game and Video (display) options again.

Very strange indeed that you are receiving an "overclocking failed" error without having overclocked your CPU/GPU. Make sure you don't have any Windows based Overclocking (OC'n) utility running in the background, that is attempting to overclock the CPU/GPU. ASUS offers a few such programs.

While in the middle of a game, the screen became black, but only for the fraction of a second.

Yeah, probably some internal compatibility switch within the game or the GPU experiencing a hiccup.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

You're welcome! :)

GTA IV is a good example of such a game indeed. If everything is working fine again, that's good!
It also patches itself, if I'm not mistaking.
Your drivers however, is something we could have a look at if you experience any more problems or glitches.

So, if you experience any more issues, do not hesitate to let us know and we'll help you get the latest drivers and have a look at potentially unwanted applications. In the meanwhile, happy 'puting!

\0/
-Sec

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

ReviverSoft, the overclocking failed is common with ASUS motherboards. It appears if the windows startup fails. It is designed that way so that if you overclock to aggressively and crash or fail to P.O.S.T you can recover easily.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Manis1993

Manis1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thank you for the other answers as well!

I don't have any overclocking applications running, not even ASUS's apps because I don't use any apps like these. I consider these ASUS apps bloatware. :P

On another note, a strange thing happened and I had the same error this morning when I fired up my computer: black screen, no reaction from external hardware. I turned it off, waited a couple minutes, turned it back on and it was working fine. So fine that I didn't even receive the error message about overclocking, the computer just simply booted. Since then I've restarted my computer like 1-2 times for various reasons and the error did not come back. The strange thing about this: I didn't run GTAIV or any other app that makes excessive use of my GPU since I first fixed the error yesterday. I figured whatever app/game made changes to the settings might have modified it in Catalyst as well. So I launched Catalyst and restored the factory settings. It appears to be working fine now, but then again it did so too yesterday.

You're right S3cS3arch3r, I might have to take a look at my drivers cuz this is a computer I didn't use for about 10 months cuz I was abroad. Maybe it's a little out of date. (Actually, so out of date that it still has WinXP as its main OS. :P)

I'll wait and see now if the error reproduces itself again tomorrow or later.

#8 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

OK, then just run a MS-update, -usually- new GPU drivers can be installed automatically from there too, and -usually- without the bloatware as well :)

Just visit Microsoft Update, not Windows Update (NOT Windows Update) and see... You probably missed a lot of other critical KB's as well.

Happy 'puting!

\0/
-Sec

EDIT: the link / MS / WinUpdate works with IE8 or higher only.

Edited by S3cS3arch3r, 12 July 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#9 Manis1993

Manis1993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Cool, I updated everything, and the error hasn't appeared since I restorted the factory settings in Catalyst as well.

Thanks for all y'all help again!

#10 S3cS3arch3r

S3cS3arch3r

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

Good to hear, thanks for letting us know :)

\0/
-Sec

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users