Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directx/direct3d Failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eimer

Eimer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

I recently upgraded my computer's graphics card from a Savage3 to a Matrox G400. I decided to dutifully upgrade my display drivers from the matrox website, and then when attempting to run a game, I'd end up with a failure. Going into DxDiag I find that I can't even test Direct3D because it's disabled. From there I think a good solution would be to get DirectX 9.0. Still failure, still no ability to test Direct3D. I was able to run these games before on my old graphics card.

Here is an Everest Report.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name Home
User Name home

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name Asus CUV4X (1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8604/5/6 ProSavage PL133/PM133/PN133
System Memory 320 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Medallion (06/19/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Matrox Graphics Millennium G400 MAX AGP (32 MB)
3D Accelerator Matrox G400
Monitor ViewSonic E771-4 [17" CRT] (AY03405770)

Yes, I know I need more ram and a better processor :thumbsup:.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

I'd check to make sure that your BIOS is setup so that onboard graphics is disabled. Might be a conflict between the onboard graphics trying to work and not having the drivers installed.

If that's set right, and it doesn't work, then I'd uninstall the drivers, pull the card from the AGP slot and start fresh. Download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. Also, download directX 9.0c. I believe that's the latest version of directX, unless they've come out with a newer release in the last few months. Install directX BEFORE you install your vga card again. Once you install your card, leave the settings at default, as these are usually stable settings for the card.....in other words, don't change the settings in the card to improve the graphics in a game, that can be done from the game itself.

Hope it helps. If not, post back again with your results!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Eimer

Eimer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:26 AM

Same problem. Restarted in safe mode, uninstalled my video card, reinstalled DirectX9.0c, reinstalled card, restart in normal, got drivers, no Direct3D. Is the BIOS onboard graphics thing the same as the onboard mem usage when I press "Del" at the boot-up to enter Setup?

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

Same problem. Restarted in safe mode, uninstalled my video card, reinstalled DirectX9.0c, reinstalled card, restart in normal, got drivers, no Direct3D. Is the BIOS onboard graphics thing the same as the onboard mem usage when I press "Del" at the boot-up to enter Setup?

Got me swinging in the wind with the onboard mem question. I believe that there's a setting in your BIOS someplace that says "onboard vga" or "integrated vga". I could be wrong, as different manufactures make different settings with different terminology. Perhaps someone else could clear that up a little better that I'm able to.

Have you tried installing the card in a different computer?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Eimer

Eimer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

Simply switched to a different graphics card. Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users