Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Memory Hog (Superfetch) Win 7 x64

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Picollo30

Picollo30

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi guys

Svchost.exe namely a svchost process called Local System Network Restricted is taking up lots of RAM on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine.

Although Chrome (another huge memory hog) is taking up 400 K of memory which is normal cuz i have 20+ tabs opened the same is not normal with svchost.

Using Process Explorer i came to the conclusion the offending service is Superfetch which is taking between 110/150 K memory. When i disable superfetch it drops to 9 K.

Now i thought Superfetch ran during the boot to speed up the boot process and the most used programs not after. Is it safe to turn it off? I heard it is used to optimize the system but what it really is doing is slowing my pc to a crawl.

What should i do guys? I have 12 GB RAM and with Superfetch on Clean Mem Mini Monitor goes from green to yellow (50 to 60% of memory used)

My Pagefile is system managed, not really sure if i need a pagefile with 12 GB but i really dont know what values to put (it was easier when it was 2 or 4 GB). Also i've red that the pagefile should be in another HDD and not the one with the OS.

Hope someone with more knowledge can help me out.

thanks in advance

Edited by Picollo30, 10 July 2012 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

SuperFetch: How it Works & Myths Please read this - It may mention Vista also, but Windows7 is covered -

I have 12 GB RAM and with Superfetch on Clean Mem Mini Monitor goes from green to yellow (50 to 60% of memory used)

400,000 Kb (if this is what you mean) = 0.38147GB About one Third of 1GB - You have 12 GB of RAM to play with -
50 to 60% usage is why you have 12G installed, (I wish I had 6 G installed), and this is not the problem
(Superfetch) 64-bit Win7- 8GB RAM or more: ALWAYS LEAVE IT ON

This is in no way causing any slowing of your system, more likely the 20+ Tabs open will slow it.
What active Antivirus, Firewall, and Antimalware programs are running at this time ??

Sorry I edited the first post, but the site was down for a while as I re wrote this -

Edited by noknojon, 11 July 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#3 Picollo30

Picollo30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi noknojon now i'm using Avast Pro, Malware Bytes and Spyware Blaster

The Firewall is Windows 7 Firewall

Edited by Picollo30, 11 July 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi -
Are you running Malwarebytes Pro or Free versions ?

Clean Mem Mini Monitor goes from green to yellow (50 to 60% of memory used)

Please note this description of Clean Mem Mini Monitor regarding your 12GB system -
>>""CleanMem is a tool designed to optimize system memory the moment it is highly demanded by your operating system.
Thus, memory is cleared, and your computer's performance improves.
This kind of tool is highly recommended for users who have a small amount of RAM installed on their computer, making it difficult to simultaneously handle multiple processes.""<<

This add on program is only designed for smaller systems (max 4 GB), not for high use computers, as th readings may not be accurate.
Personally from what I have been reading, it is a useless tool to have on your computer, and I would delete it.
The built in Windows tools will give you all this information, without a 3rd party application being needed -

Download SuperantiSpyware Free, make sure you Update the program, and run a quick scan with it.
You can uninstall the program if you wish after the scan if it is clean.
This is almost the same as Malwarebytes, but it will pick up a few more minor items. My quick scan just took about 3.25 mins.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Make sure "MalwareBytes and Spyware Blaster" are running passively (used only when required).

Svchost.exe Memory Hog

These articles might help:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/762-63-svchost-sucking-memory
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users