Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input Not Supported..Random Freezing..Disc Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

G'day. My Wifes PC
started by freezing at random times.
screen would lose whatever was on it at the time to be replaced by "Input not supported"
Mouse movement etc would not clear this.
Necessitated a hard restart.
No new hardware or software installed in recent months.
Has presented quite a number of error messages.
""ISASS.exe system error........an I/Operation initiated y the registry failed irrecoverably. The reg could not read in or write out or flush one of the files that contains the systems image of the reg.""

""Disc Boot failure....Insert System Disc and Press Enter""

windows performed an auto check of the file system on C.....all good

""windows recovery....one of the files containing the systems reg data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the recovery was successful""

""windows delayed write to failed......windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\doc and sett:\all users|applic data|norton|[oc55c096-ofid-4f28-aaa2-85ef591126e7}\N360_6.2.0.9\CmmnClnt\ccjobMgr\jobMgr.dat.log The data has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere ""

All of the above happened pre 12 noon yesterday.
Last night, the PC booted up perfectly, and i immediately "merged" a reg backup which was stored in my Doc's (This was created as a result of using CC Cleaner) !!!
I 'tested' the pc by simply opening a few programs...F'fox, outlook express etc and all seemed well. I walked away from the PC for 5 minutes and came back to a black screen with "disk boot failure...insert system disc and press enter
I shut down and tried again this morning and the first result was the above error again.....i hard rebooted and the PC booted !.....and so far has not errored or frozen !
We do not have a system disc
We do have a backup on an external drive
We do have a ""

Windows XP Media Center Edition Restore Rescue Repair CD Disk DISC
" from an ebay source called "open source software"........which promises to fox "everything" :whistle:

Windows XP, SP3
HP pavillion M7575a, media center

Brian

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2012 - 09:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardwsre - Hamluis.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

PS...the latest 'boot' is not really successful......i note that if i move the arrow cursor to the task bar it immediately turns to an hour glass..... and i attempted to double click on outlook express and it has now frozen.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

PC just crashed.....tried to restart itself....black screen.....disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Now have the PC at the screen where choices are offered....last known configuration, safe mode, start windows normally etc etc...i have moved the cursor up the screen so the countdown is deactivated, and the PC is 'held' on that screen.
When the PC attempts to reboot ....I note that the first sreen to appear is the "hp Invert/Intel........then it goes straight to the windows screen with a moving blue line across the sreen........It appears to be MISSING the screen which lists the hard drive description, bios type etc etc

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hello, my friend! Let's try this ...

Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 July 2012 - 10:51 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hitachi HDT721032SLA360.......ATA.....STF202ML1SEGDP on Intel ICH7

1.short test....passed
Long Test......failed in approx 30 seconds! Not responding to commands...check cables and drive power connecting.

2.Short test.....passed
Long test.........passed

3.Short test,....passed
Long test....failed.....not responding to commands etc etc...failed at approx 80%..(started at 7.00pm....failed at 7.50 pm)
Repair unsuccessful
drive is not responding to commands. Check cables and power connection

Is it a seemly approach to do just what the Seagate tool suggested....power off and check cables and connections ?

Details:: max native address.....625142447
device is 48 bit addressed. No. of cba's 625142447 (320.073GB)
device supports secure features
smart is supported and enabled
smart is NOT tripped
DST is supported
logging feature set is supported
POH 15976

Is it true that Hitachi drives are plagued with this type of inconsistency ?

Is it a seemly approach to do just what the Seagate tool suggested....power off and check cables and connections ?

The current hard drive is the second replacement in the life of this PC (approx 6 years)

Despite being far more proficient in the field of small engine repair ....I am certainly game to give this a try.

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

G'day again mate !!....in my befuddled state i forgot to mention......We do have a backup !...on an external drive.....tis about a month or so old....but better than the alternative.

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Well done: You have pinpointed the source of the problem quickly, determining at the same time that it occurs intermittently.

... do just what the Seagate tool suggested....power off and check cables and connections ?

Yes: Do that as the logical first step. It is quite possible and does happen sometimes that the cable &/or cable connection is causing such a problem.
  • SATA data cables/connections are not all they are cracked up to be, but the same/similar can also happen with IDE/ATA type cables (not so much connections).
However, I fear it will be in vain and that it is likely to be the hard drive itself that is/contains the problem.
  • Being intermittent makes things a little tricky.
    Let's have a quick look at the SMART data by providing a Speccy report.
Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

ummm....PC wont boot......however...i just do happen to have a Speccy report for this PC ....dated 10/02/2011
I can scan the page(s) and then copy and paste here....will that be sufficient ?
How much of the detail do you need?

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

ummm ... slight oversight in a senior's moment

Let's have a look at it: What I want is the S.M.A.R.T data for the HDD at this stage. Copy/paste into a reply ... and put it in CODE tags if you can manage it to preserve the formating/spacing to make it easier for all to view.

Meantime, I'll knock up instructions for you to get me the SMART data using a bootable CD.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Ah ... what the heck: I've already got instructions prepared for doing it one way ... and a little bit of extra work (for you) never hurt anybody. Have fun with this: It should keep you occupied for the remainder of the evening!

Lucid Puppy - GSmartControl S.M.A.R.T data
Instructions prepared June 10th, 2012, using Lucid Puppy version 5.2.8
mrsmh1_BC: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic443737.html/page__view__findpost__p__2725974
============================
I assume you already know how to download & install a browser of your choice: I downloaded & installed Firefox in order to be able to log on at BleepingComputer.com and post there while using the Puppy operating system.

Note: When you shut Puppy down, you are given the opportunity to save changes made to the system to a file on a storage media. I suggest that you choose to save changes to a file that you save to a USB flashdrive, so that you can load those changes from the flashdrive next time you boot to the Puppy CD. (Do not save this file to the failing hard drive.***) That way, you will have the browser ... and the other changes we make now ... available to you when next you boot the Puppy CD, and won't have to start at the beginning again and download/install afresh.
=====================================

Boot with the Lucid Puppy CD.
  • Instructions prepared June 10th, 2012, using Lucid Puppy version 5.2.8
Posted Image
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 desktop with browser wizard.

Download and install GSmartControl package:
  • At the Puppy Desktop, click on Install.
    A new Install window will appear.
  • At the bottom of that window, "Click button to run the Puppy Package Manager".
    The Puppy Package Manager window will appear.
  • On the left-side of that window you will see a vertical column of icons: Click on the second icon "System".
  • In the window pane to the right-side, under the heading "Package", eighth down the list, click on "gsmartcontrol-0.8.5-i386".
    A Puppy Package Manager: preinstall window will appear.
  • In that window, if all is well, at the bottom, click on "Install gsmartcontrol-0.8.5-i386".
    A Puppy Package Manager: download window will appear.
  • I didn't have any luck with the download location selected by default, so I suggest that you select "ibiblio.org", third from the bottom, and then click on "Download Packages".
    You will see a download progress window, and then a "Puppy Package Manager" window announcing that the packages have been successfully installed.
  • Click OK.
  • If all is well, you will see another window announcing that there are no missing libraries or dependencies: Click OK.
  • You will have a remaining Puppy Package Manager window open, so click on "Exit package manager" to close the window.
Done!
=================

Use GSmartControl to get the S.M.A.R.T data:
  • At the bottom-left-side of the Puppy Desktop
  • Click Menu > System > System Status and Config > GSmartControl hardware information.
  • In the GSmartControl window that appears, click on the device that represents the failing hard drive (any other device may be a flashdrive if you have one connected) to select it.
  • On the top menu, click Device > View Details.
    A Device Information window for the failing hard drive will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab at the top (to display the S.M.A.R.T data).

:step1: Firstly, we'll save the S.M.A.R.T data as a text output by smartctl.
  • At the bottom of the Attributes page, click Save As.
  • Look at the default file name and location that the file will be saved.
    Default location will be "root".
  • Click Save.

:step2: Now, let's create and save a screenshot of the GSmartControl window.
  • Firstly, make the GSmartControl window occupy the full size of the screen so that all details are included in the screenshot.
  • Click on Menu (bottom-left corner of the screen) > Graphic > PupSnap Screen Capture.
    A PupSnap window will appear.
  • Click the Full Screen tab in that window.
  • Click Save.
    A new window displaying the newly created screenshot (probably named image-1.png) will appear.
  • Close that window, exit the PupSnap window, as well as the Device Information window and the GSmartControl window.
Done!
=================

Now to get the text file and the screenshot uploaded to BleepingComputer.com.

You are probably already reading this using Puppy, but if not ...

Attach items to a post or two ...
  • In your topic at the bottom of the page, click on Add Reply.
  • Under the text box, under the heading Attachments, click on "Browse" to browse for the file that you wish to attach.
    A file upload window will appear.
  • On the left-side, click on "root" to display the contents of the root directory.
  • You should see the text file there that you saved earlier. Click on it, to select it, and then click Open at the bottom-right of the window.
  • Back at the BleepingComputer.com forums window, click on Attach this file.
  • Now type a few words in the text box "text file attached" and then at the bottom click on Add Reply.
Note: If you are feeling confident enough to try it, you can open the text file with a text editor in Puppy and paste the contents in a reply so it can be seen easily by anyone browsing the topic, if you wish. If you do this, don't forget to enclose in CODE tags to preserve the format/spacing.

Now click on Add Reply again to create another post.
  • Again, click on Browse under Attachments.
  • In the root directory, double-click on my-documents to open that directory.
  • In that directory, double-click on images to open that directory.
    You should now see the image that you saved (the screenshot) probably called image-1.png
  • Click on the image to highlight it, and then click on Open.
  • Back at the forum, click on Attach This File.
  • When it has been attached (may take a few seconds), to the right of the window, click on "Add to Post" so that the image will be displayed.
    You will see some text appear in the text box.
  • At the bottom of the window, click on Add Reply.
All done!

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 July 2012 - 06:10 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

AND ... in another senior's moment, I forgot to give you this bit to start with. More fun!! Enjoy.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
    • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
    • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
    • There are two versions currently available, namely Slacko and Lucid. Either will do the job nicely.
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

OK...seriously bleary eyed here....but I actually found this to be sufficient fun to keep me awake...!!

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Unbelievably good job there, Brian! I would have put serious money on you not getting that lot done this evening! You are in real danger of becoming ..... a geeek!

I am going to have to call it a night at this point though, and I am guessing you will not be too disappointed about that.

I will get back to you tomorrow!

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 July 2012 - 10:23 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Brian,

I've had a look at the SMART data for your hard drive (thank you for getting that so proficiently) and I believe that we have nailed the problem (or very closely identified it anyway). You have given me exactly what I was hoping to get from the SMART data, namely the UDMA CRC Error Count: Raw Value = 916. That identifies the problem and where it is likely to be.

Re: (C7) UltraDMA CRC Error Count
199  0xC7  UltraDMA  CRC Error Count  The count of errors in data transfer via the interface cable as determined by ICRC (Interface Cyclic Redundancy Check).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Have a read of the topic at the following link:
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic458670.html/page__view__findpost__p__2754499
    It very closely resembles the situation you have presented here.
==============================================

Have a look at the following two threads:
  • http://forum.hddguru.com/smart-ultra-dma-crc-error-count-t15398.html
  • http://www.overclock.net/t/1017719/how-often-do-sata-cables-go-bad#post_13532121
  • I thought this comment particularly interesting, and worth remembering:
    "there is no way to clear it. ... your drives always through (<throw>?) warnings even after the cables has been replaced."
    (Meaning: Once the SMART values are recorded, the record remains on the HDD and is reported always. The important thing to keep track of then, is that the value does not increase over time.)
    Note: I believe there may be a way to change this/remove those errors from the record. I would need to research that if you were interested in doing it.
:exclame: Try replacing the hard drive's SATA data cable.
  • If you are buying a new cable, ensure that you get one with locking clips on the ends.
  • Be careful not to bend it (or at least not to bend it sharply).
  • What effect does that have?
  • Does the problem still exist?
Good luck.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 July 2012 - 04:11 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users