Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start. BIOS Post code

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 8-bit Hero

8-bit Hero

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I have a (fairly old now) Gateway computer. To my knowledge it uses the phoenix award bios.

Today I woke up and pushed the power button.

Nothing. No start up, no power at all. Completely dead. I tried changing power strips, plugs, using a different power cord and nothing worked. After finally pushing the cord in hard and pushing the power button, it came on. It worked completely fine (no problems or errors. ran normally) until I decided to test if it was just a loose power cord or something else. I shut down again and tried to boot up. This time the power went on but the computer did not boot. Within 2 seconds it let out continuous beeping with nothing on screen (no signal). Just a constant BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP like a heart beat monitor on a normal heartbeat. This beeping never stopped until forcing the computer off again.

Can someone please give me some advice on what the issue is? My biggest fear is that it's the motherboard in which I'm pretty much SOL as I don't have the cash any time soon to replace it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Specifications
Windows Vista 32 Bit SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
3.00 GB DDR2 ram
ELITEGROUP MCP61PM-AM
Geforce GT 430
500 GB Hitachi HDD

Edit: I just turned it back on again to listen more closely to the beeps. This time it booted flawlessly. I don't understand the problem. Every other problem I've had with my PC has usually been pretty consistent. Once it happens it doesn't stop until whatever is the problem is fixed. This time it works completely fine, running fine with no issues half the time and the other half it refuses to boot.

Edited by 8-bit Hero, 11 July 2012 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

FWiW: http://support.gateway.com/s/tutorials/Tu_949703.shtml

I can't speculate on the beeps that you hear.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users