Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a mac monitor to a PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fish0

fish0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I want to connect a mac monitor to my PC. The monitor has a mini displayport connection, and I need to plug it in to a DVI or hdmi (either is fine).

However, it appears that mini displayport female to hdmi/dvi male adapters are extremely hard to find and quite expensive ($100 range).

I was planning on buying a female-female mini displayport adapter, a male mini displayport to female hdmi, and a male-male hdmi adapter and linking the three together. Would that be a problem? Would I lose any video signal quality? I don't care about minidisplayport's audio, I can use separate speakers.

Also if I did that, would the mac monitor work just as well with my PC as a normal PC monitor?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: oops, actually I have a MINI HDMI connection, not HDMI. The question still stands tho, because I can't find a mini-displayport to mini HDMI adapter.

Edited by fish0, 10 July 2012 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mini+hdmi+to+DP&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS490US490&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=944&bih=961&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=530086980105717499&sa=X&ei=aE7_T6HnB6He2QW--4WfBA&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAA

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mini+hdmi+to+hdmi&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS490US490&prmd=imvnsr&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=944&bih=961&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12462639453125043457&sa=X&ei=j07_T_jxDtD62AXa64igBA&ved=0CJcBEOUNMAM

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 fish0

fish0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Those cables are the wrong gender. What I would need is something like this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/360251538664?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y
With a female mini displayport connection and a male hdmi. Since such adapters are extremely expensive, I wondered if I could buy a couple cheap adapters and chain them together.

PS: Don't bother searching for a cheaper direct adapter, I've already spent hours. Actually I'm pretty sure they are illegal, as they do not fit official HDMI cable specifications (http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-cables-deemed-illegal-millions-to-be-recalled-2011079/)

Edited by fish0, 13 July 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#4 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

That is why I posted both of those. You will need both. Unless you have some crazy weird Apple monitor you get the MINI DP to HDMI converter and you plug the HDMI with a mini HDMI into the converter and the mini HDMI end into the video card.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

EDIT: oops, actually I have a MINI HDMI connection, not HDMI. The question still stands tho, because I can't find a mini-displayport to mini HDMI adapter.

There is no such thing as a HDMI/DVI to displayport adapter cable. You have to pay attention to the "to" in adapter descriptions. Now, displayport to DVI/HDMI adapter cables are a dime a dozen so to speak. Displyport to DVI/HDMI=easy, DVI/HDMI to displayport=not so easy and expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UO2R52/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004I6L6DW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RHQKE0MFT2FX3S23NH3 is just one adapter, you will still need to get the "mini" adapters/connectors if needed.

It is almost cheaper to upgrade to a new videocard with a displayport vs getting adapters. Something to consider.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users