Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Storage Question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flightnut

Flightnut

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

:busy: Hi, everyone...I just joined. I hope this is the right place to ask this. My system is getting old now (I'll give specs below). Hard to believe but after all these years, I'm still saving data and doing backups on floppy disks. :inlove:

Anyway, I know it's time to join the 21 century, but I find external hard drives a bit pricey. So, I thought maybe I could save/backup my data on CD-R's and/or CD-RW's. Is this the way to go? The thing is I'm having the devil's time figuring out the difference between the two. Am I on the right track with this?

Specs:
Dell Inspiron
OS = Windows XP, SP3, 32bit
Processor = Intel Core 2, E4500@ 2.20Ghz (800mhz)
Memory = 1X3 GB Ram
Video Card = ATI Radeon HD, 2400 Pro
Hard Drive = 232GB Total space; 21.6GB Used
I think I bought this around 2007 or so. I don't remember now.
Anyway, thanks for listening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Look and see what type of drive you have. Opening My Computer should show it. Or look on the fron of the Optical drive and see what it says.

CD-RW are not good for long term storage due to the dye used to make them rewritable. Same with DVD-RW.

CDs hold around 750megabytes per disk and DVDs if you can burn them hole around 4.7Gigabytes per disk.
And if you had one which from the age you don't a BluRay holds 25Gigabytes per disk.

The best way to back up if you can afford them is to back up to CD or DVD and a External drive. Redundancy.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

:dance: Thank you for the advise. I'm thinking maybe the external drive might be best after all...assuming I can find an affordable one. Thanks, again.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

An external drive is absolutely your best bet and they are indeed affordable. Check Amazon, BestBuy, Newegg, etc.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Just as an example I have two different makes of USB3 2Tb external hard drives on order @ $109 each w/free 3 day shipping.

Why USB3, I do have it and it is really faster than USB2.

You will need to be running Windows 7 to use a 3Tb drive so avoid them since you run XP.

I am suggesting buying USB 3 drives as they will work on USB 2 also and down the road when you upgrade or add a USB3 card they are ready for it. Check t be sure they do however.

However I still suggest optical media and a External drive. Sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders to keep you pants up. If either fails the one is still there doing the job. As well as the fact that any hard drive does not like impacts or being dropped. There are drives like this

ADATA DashDrive Durable Series HD710 1TB USB 3.0 Yellow, Water & Shock Proof Portable Hard Drive AHD710-1TU3-CYL a 1Tb for $129

or

ADATA DashDrive Durable Series HD710 1TB 2.5" Blue, Water & Shock Proof Portable a 1TB for $119

If you have kids or pets that might knock the drive while it is running............
Or any drive if you can put it where it has ventilation but can't be bumped then a regular drive is fine.

If I lived in tornado alley or a earthquake prone area I'd be buy the water and shockproof drive just in case to protect important files.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 July 2012 - 10:15 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Hi Flightnut,

My name is Saurabh.

The type of backup storage device will be best determined by the amount and nature of data that you wish to backup. If the data comprises of multimedia stuff like images, audios and videos, it is recommended that you use an external hard drive. However, if you only have office documents to backup, use of CDs would be more economical.

CD-R stands for CD Recordable. CD-R discs can be written to only once. They are more economical and work best when recording data that will not change. CD-RW stands for CD Rewritable. CD-RW discs can be written to many times, and they function somewhat like a hard disk or floppy. CD-RW is a good choice when you need to store small amounts of data over time, such as a daily backup of a few critical files. Early recordable CD-ROM drives were CD-R only, but most drives sold today support both CD-R and CD-RW writing.

Please write back with the type of optical drive in the computer, and I’ll tell you how capable that is. To check for the same, kindly open device manager and expand the “DVD/CD-ROM drives” option to capture the required detail. To open device manager, kindly follow these steps: Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.

Kindly post the results. Eager and Glad to assist.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:14 AM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users