Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my Windows 7 installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yusuke005

yusuke005

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I just recently did a system recovery on my HP TouchSmart 520 with the installation disc HP Support sent me. I followed the process of inserting each disc like instructed and at the end the HP Software Installation screen appears and tries to initialize. And error pops up with the following message.

Error: c:\system.sav\fbi\fbism.exe doesn't exist

It does put me in Administrator mode and I can type command prompts. Upon exiting this screen though the system restarts and goes back into the same spot. The only thing I can do is bring up the start up menu when the computer first turns on. So my questions are what is this error and how can I go about fixing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi yusuke005,

c:\system.sav\fbi\fbism.exe is the HP File Based Installer; see here and here. It would appear that something went wrong with the recovery.

A few things you could try:

1) Boot into Safe Mode (if possible).
  • Restart the computer and begin tapping the F8 Key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
  • Arrow down to Safe Mode and press <Enter>.
  • After Safe Mode loads, click on the "Orb" and type MSCONFIG into the search box, right mouse click on the MSCONFIG.exe at the top of the column, and select Run as administrator.
  • When the Utility opens, click on the Startup tab and look for the FBISM.exe file.
  • If found, Uncheck the entry, and click Apply, then OK.
  • Restart the computer. Any change?

2) You could try to recover using the hidden partition on the hard drive, if that option is available to you, rather than the recovery disks.
See: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5157108
Arrow down to Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot) for a How-to.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users