Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing "top cover assembly" Acer Aspire 5551

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi all. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with more specific directions.

I cracked the "top cover assembly" (the only wording I could find that relates to the part I cracked) and I need to replace it. I ordered the part on Ebay and now I'm ready to fix it. I lost a link to a video clip I had showing how to do just this part so now I'm left with a 24 step guide on how to dissassemble the entire laptop, which I DON'T want to do.

Here is the guide: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-acer-aspire-5251-5551g-5551-series-laptop/

I'm GUESSING...that all I need to do is

#1 - take out battery and memory card insert (the little fake memory card that sits in the slot)

I am guessing that I do not need to remove the hard drive/memory cover like pictured in step #2 of that guide. I'm also guessing I do not need to remove the screw holding the optical drive in.

#2 - Pop the keyboard out, like shown in Step #7-13 of the guide.

#3 - Remove screws from bottom of laptop. Here is where I'm confused. Because this guide is showing how to take apart the entire computer. I THINK he's removing screws that I do not need to remove. BUT, I have no idea what is really attached to the "top cover assembly" and what aren't. This is the area that I need help the most. Because some of these screws he's showing to remove ARE under the hard drive/memory cover, so therefore I would need to remove that. SO, do I need to remove all of these screws he shows in this diagram, or only a few? If only a few, which ones?

#4 - remove all the screws & cables under the keyboard.

#5 - lift off the top cover

#6 - put on new cover, attach screws and cables, and close up everything.

Am I missing anything? Please help asap. My laptop is getting more and more cracked and I'm anxious to get this fixed asap. Thank you for any help you can give!

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2012 - 08:07 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

The question that comes to my mind is why is it cracked? Is it in the area by the screens hinges?

To answer your question you do need to take out all the screws on the bottom as shown and the 7 shown in step 15. A couple of the screws from the bottom may be screwed in to secure the hinges but there is no way to tell which ones from that picture. You can guess of course.

It looks like you need to do step 1,2, 7 to 11 and step 14, 15, 16

Being very careful with the keyboard latch as it is delicate, same with the step 15 connectors
1. Power button cable.
2. Left speaker cable.
3. Right speaker cable.
4. Touchpad cable.

Do not pull on the wires. For the Touchpad cable the power button cable they are the same latch as the keyboard. Do not pull on the speaker wires. I use tweezers on each side of the plug to work them out. There is usually a little lip that the tweezers go between and the socket on the motherboard.

If you break the connector on the motherboard, then big problem, parts that plug into them can be replaced at a lower cost. So go slow and be very patient.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 July 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Thank you. So, any idea how many screws at the bottom I need to take out? Is it really only the 4 corners, or do I have to take them all out like in the directions/diagram? Some of those are under the hard drive cover...

#4 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Ok. So, I've tried to do this.. But I've failed. I cannot get the keyboard off for the life of me. I've used numerous tools, the little "tabs" go inside, and pop right back out, I've tried to pry up the keyboard in front of the tab while I have it pushed back and its just not working for me. In fact, I've popped off two keys and awhile they aren't broken, I can't get them back on correctly. I'm so frustrated now lol. They make it look so easy in the videos to pop those tabs and get the keyboard out. I guess I'll have to see if this guy my husband knows will come and do it, because I'm quite frustrated, spent 30 minutes trying to get this keyboard off lol...and here I thought that would be the easiest part.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Pretty much all the screws on the bottom and the 7 under the keyboard.
The reason for all those screws is that the bottom and top of the case are what makes the laptop rigid and not flexible. Having all those screws makes it much more reliable. In general the screws only thread into little brass parts that are pressed into plastic, so you need a lot of them for strength.

Here is a tip on how to tell what screws need to be removed. Look at the replacement part to see where they thread into it.

For the keyboard I start at one end upper left for example after sliding a really thin tool under the upper left corner of the keyboard, then release one latch and gently use that tool to lift the corner of the keyboard, then work my way left to right.

There are two ways a key can come off the keyboard. There is a little two piece plastic scissors under the key that can come off or the key can pop off of that scissors. There are sites on the internet that sell replacement keys and scissors as parts. They also usually have a instructional video showing how to do it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users