Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wave volume resets to off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tony.A

Tony.A

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:53 PM

i am having a problem with my volume control. I am running XP Pro SP1, MSI board and using the onboard sound. I have just installed Skype and now after every mp3 I play the wave volume control resets itself to zero. As you probably can imagine very annoying.
I have set skype not to start up with windows and since then de-installed it but to no avail...
any suggestions greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:51 PM

What media player are you using?

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

Hi, Tony.A,
Since I have winXPpro SP2, on an MSI motherboard with nVidia on-board sound, I thought I'd check for what I have... to compare with your present settings. Let me know if there are are differences. Some tabs are redundant, leading to the same place. Device manager is another area, but let's start with what might or might not be the same to track down your problem.

Start-->Contol Panel-->Sounds, Speech & Audio Devices-->Sound & Audio Devices will give you
1. this box. Select device volume-->advanced and you are
2. here, at the master volume control. Select speaker settings-->performance and
3. Audio playback is visible.
4. Choose the sounds tab.
5. Choose the audio tab.
6. voice tab
7. hardware tab
8. troubleshooting will send you to Microsoft.

Sometimes I have the Volume control in my tray (meaning at startup) and other times not. I think it's a default setting at OS load, SP1 or SP2 load, (all are basically like loading different OS's in many ways....) I tend to want very few startups, since I can easily go to Start-->anywhere, so I probably just exited it once at the beginning and it hasn't come back. I've wondered about how to decide to have it there instead of it coming and going. Different audio players exert some influence also. I've had several, and now it's just WMP10 for purposes of testing.

Never tried Skype, thanks to you I probably never will. :thumbsup:

Get back with more info, and we'll hash this out, OK?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Tony.A

Tony.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

right i've been experimenting a bit - the problem seems to occur in winamp (5.05) but not with windows media player 8. Using winamp, as soon as i start playing a sound file(tried mp3 and wav) the wave volume setting goes back down to 0.This doesn't seem to happen to media player though, volume stays the same - very strange. I have been using winamp since i first discovered mp3's and don't fancy changing to media player.

I am not sure it was the skype sw or not - but it's the only thing I changed except for plugging in a microphone

phawgg - i have compared settings and they are about the same except I have a c-media sound device instead of nvidia!

p.s. Off to bed (2 in the morning here) back later (can't find a tired smilie!)

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Whats your exact motherboard model so I can see if there are new sounds drivers available

Also just found this that may help:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Also when you use Winamp make sure you adjust the volume slider in Winamp, and not only in Windows. They do not always interact together.

#6 Tony.A

Tony.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:44 PM

I think I've done it - after all my messing about, i de-installed winamp (not just installing over it) and installed the latest version - Eureka!
I just need to restart and see if it still works am busy though, will try later - can't see it not working though

p.s.
thanks for all the trouble you've all gone to - greatly appreciated!

Edited by Tony.A, 11 November 2004 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:45 PM

Also found this:

Check to see if the volume slider in the main Winamp window is set at zero.
If so, turn it up to the desired level and all your problems will go away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users